Okuma titus gold series

Started by twangers, July 03, 2010, 09:06:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twangers

Alan and Co i would like your opinions on these reels epecially the 50w2speed's. There half the price but are they half the reel of the big names penn avet tiagra SLT Makira. Are they well made or just cheap junk slapped togather. And have they any known problems?

Cheers in Advance Dave

akfish

Price = Value. The new Okumas are apparently good reels, but the older ones simply aren't. With very tedious care, you can get service out of them but I simply wouldn't fish one. I've seen too many with serious issues in the shop.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

JGB

Dave,

Regarding Okuma TG series reels.

First let it be known that I have been a supporter of Okuma for a very long time as they worked through their growing pains. I have used and maintained most of the lever drags since Okuma got into the buisness.

The Titus series reels (graphite composit frames) are mechanically  identical to the Titus Gold series.
The earlier TG series used Canvas dry drags and the more recent versions now use Carbon drags. Upgrade kits are available for the older TG and T series reels ($15- $25 range). The carbon drag is a must have for reliable consistant performance.

The TG is a machined forged aluminum frame and side plates. Very robust but the anodizing needs to be cared for as it can get scratched easily. They must be taken care of. If you get a TG and you have it Tani serviced it will be reliable and a work horse reel. For DIY Pack bearings and grease ALL screws. Once this is done the reliability and servicability is very good. If you don't the screws will seize and you reel will become unrepairable over time.

Recomendations are: if your willing to Taniize then the TG's are a great value.
If you want more reliablity out of the box then consider the Cavalla series (same mechanics of the TG with good anodizing and carbon drags).

If you want the latest then the Makira series is has the great anidizing, anti corosion coatings on all inside surfaces, greased packed bearing and all fastners are greased. A lot more dollars but basically a well built state of the art  Taniized reel out of the box.

Jim N.