Another long term 6/0 project

Started by Rothmar2, March 31, 2014, 07:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothmar2

I really don't know what to say, other than Thank You for the Generous Words. I certainly would never consider myself an artist with metal, I think a "lucky, persistent hack" is a more appropriate term. Lucky in that I seemed to have got it (fairly) right the first time. And "hack" as I'm certainly not a qualified fitter and turner. There are thousands of people out there, unsung hero's in my book, that are worthy of the title "metal artists".
There is still the issue of countersinking the hole on the outside right ring which the free spool lever passes over. I have to very carefully continue to widen that out a little as the lever catches the screw head.

And Alan, I've already got a wrench from a previous post, that one will last me until I'm six feet under!  ;D

Bryan Young

But the new wrenches are etched with alantani.com in them...
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

Very well done,
The important question is; now that you have all the jigs made up how many hours would it take to make another set(s)
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Irish Jigger on March 31, 2014, 08:52:18 PM
Lovely workmanship there Rothmar2, you make it look easy.
It took a lot of good machining to produce 316 rings of that quality.
They will never crack like the stamped brass ones.

Stand by for orders from the 16/0 collectors ;)
I'm not going to ask Tom. Especially something that takes 30 hours to make. ::)
If Rothmar doesn't want that wrench, I'll take it! I have at least 6 photos of the month and no wrench. :'(
I had to buy mine. ???
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

And I don't even have a single photo of the month yet ... Er go..had to buy mine too.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

Maybe you are just being Held to a higher Standard John! ;)
I'm just kidding about the wrench. The one I have is fine. ;D
Life is Good!

Robert Janssen

Geez, that was ambitious. You really, really, really wanted those rings.   :)

That is a pretty stout machine you have. Have you considered lathe spinning those instead, not leastly now that you have a good mandrel? It still entails all the work of making the rings, but at least you don't have to work from thick plate.

erikpowell

Rothmar that work you did is stunning. Wow... 30 hrs..those rings won't come cheap for those who desire them.
myself included  :D
you get another wow for that project mate!

I just took in a beauty of a 12/0 ... a shame ...all the rings are tossers  ;)

Rothmar2

Erik, I certainly didn't make these and post this to make money. It was more of "I think I can solve my problem by doing this myself" type of thing. Senator parts aren't as readily available in Australia as they are for you guys in the US. Sure, I could have just bought some from Scott's, or off EBay, but I just thought can they be made "better". Yes they can. My aim was to inspire people to maybe have a go themselves. I'm sure there are others here that have the ability to make these. I'm sure this is not the only way to go about this. As Robert has suggested "lathe spinning". I don't even know what he means by that (hence my "hack" status). I have already had an offer to have rings roughed out on the water cutter, that would save a heap of time. Plus the off cut could be used to make rings for the larger or smaller senators.
 I think, even with an accurately precut ring, I could probably get a ring turned out in 3-4 hours each. That would include the polishing, which I haven't even attempted yet.
 There is a lot off possibilities here. But one thing for sure, the stainless rings will be stronger and last longer than the originals. Isn't that why so many on here have experimented with these Senators in the first place? Taking a legend, and making it even more so of one. I also want this reel to outlast me.

Ron Jones

I was actually joking about you making these comercially. Gotta tell you though, if you could get the price down I would become your costumer. Really nice work.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Rothmar2

Cheers Ron. As far as I'm concerned it is not viable to do this on any commercial level from Australia. There just isn't the following for these reels here as there maybe once was. But I can see there could be an albeit small market over there. I say to anyone over there "go for it".
  The real inspiration for me came from guys like Sal, Keta, and others that have breathed new life and purpose into these reels. In today's "throw away mentality" of society, what these guys have achieved, and continue to achieve, is all the inspiration this hack needed.
Respect to all of you who care about these reels.

George4741

Quote from: Rothmar2 on March 31, 2014, 10:05:43 PM
I really don't know what to say, other than Thank You for the Generous Words. I certainly would never consider myself an artist with metal, I think a "lucky, persistent hack" is a more appropriate term.

You are a modest guy, Rothmar.  I think we are all impressed with your imagination and talent.  You are definately thinking outside of the box. 

George
viurem lliures o morirem

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Rothmar2 on April 01, 2014, 03:02:31 AM
When you Start Modding a Senator Rothmar. It gets our attention. ;) Modest Indeed! ;D
Life is Good!

erikpowell

Quote from: George4741 on April 01, 2014, 03:59:01 AM
Quote from: Rothmar2 on March 31, 2014, 10:05:43 PM
I really don't know what to say, other than Thank You for the Generous Words. I certainly would never consider myself an artist with metal, I think a "lucky, persistent hack" is a more appropriate term.

You are a modest guy, Rothmar.  I think we are all impressed with your imagination and talent.  You are definately thinking outside of the box. 

George

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 01, 2014, 04:09:07 AM
Quote from: Rothmar2 on April 01, 2014, 03:02:31 AM
When you Start Modding a Senator Rothmar. It gets our attention. ;) Modest Indeed! ;D

x2
x2   Rothmar, I didn't want to imply you were in it for the money buddy... I'm stoked you had the guts to try my man!

I got a kick outta your own description: "" I think a "lucky, persistent hack" "" 
.. now I have a new description for myself too  ;D ;D
Keep up the good work!
Cheers

gstours

Thanks for sharing.  very good pictures and text info.......you are an inspiration to us all.   keep it up......and good fishin too!!!!!