Another long term 6/0 project

Started by Rothmar2, March 31, 2014, 07:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I just made this topic a sticky and I believe it deserves it. There is a lot going on here and don't want it to get lost in the shuffle.
I'm always impressed with your work Chris, thanks for bringing it to us.
I noticed that your 114H plate ( the one with the stainless rings) has a chip on it, that reel is too nice for that. I will be happy to take one of my reels down and send you a nice set, all I need is you address, your reel deserves it more than mine.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ChileRelleno

The workmanship displayed in this thread is outstanding.

The handle however is just a work of art.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Dominick

Sal, I agree this should be a sticky.  It always amazes me with what can be done with a lathe.  I give this 5 WOWS.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Your not kidding John and Dominick! I think that's the first custom stainless handle I've ever seen and I like it!  ;)
I like it a lot!!! :P
I already have the wheels turning. Custom ss 12/0 bridge, sleeve, double dogs and handle. Bam! ;D
I give it 10 WOWS! and the Double Snap! :D
Life is Good!

Rothmar2

Once again I'm lost for words for the acknowledgement Guys. I really hope this inspires others to have a go at putting these extra's into their reels. It doesn't have to just be Senator's either. Will put up the TLD double dogging soon, with a bit of spice there too!
Sal, thank you for the above and beyond generous offer, but it should be me sending you a set of rings on behalf of the rest forum, for the freely given advice and guidance you pass on to us all. It's all good. Remember, this is not a display reel, I fully intend to fish this reel....hard. For the time being, the scratches on the side plates do not worry me in the least, and I know during the course of me fishing this reel, it will probably get a few more. I would hate to wear out another perfectly good set of plates at this time. Your offer shows what is so great about this forum. I would love to see some others have a crack at what I've attempted here, and post for us all to see. I certainly would never have attempted the work I have showed, without being inspired from many on here.

Shark Hunter

Chris,
Many thanks for sharing your work with us. My man Sal is an angel in disguise here. He has made many a fishermen happy here! Including myself. You are too Humble! ;)
Life is Good!

redsetta

QuoteI give this 5 WOWS.
Spot on Dominick - I wholeheartedly agree.
Quote...Sal is an angel in disguise. He has made many a fishermen happy here!
And likewise Daron, well said ;)
QuoteYour offer shows what is so great about this forum.
Alan's place is the best - such an inspirational collection of characters.
Cheers to you all!
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

CaptDavDavis01

Rothmar2

Quote from: CaptDavDavis01 on August 18, 2014, 01:43:50 AM
WOW!

You work offshore?   

Yes, mostly way offshore Broome, Western Australia

broadway

Rothmar,
  You are one talented guy.
That handle is a thing of beauty, but you've impressed me big time with those rings. WOW!
Keep at it, and I can't wait to see what's next.
Thanks for showing us the possibilities.
Dom

Rothmar2

Cheers Dom, have a couple more little twists to this build to come, just got to find the time to do it.
Other reels to service, and a bunch of big Flashy Profile Flies to tie for someone who has a trip planned to Tonga, and chase some sea-runner trout while home. Then there's the wife and kids too......

Rothmar2

Just got home from work yesterday to find my gears have arrived.Thank you to Alan C, and Mystic Reel Parts. I would have bought from you direct Alan, only I had a bunch of other parts for other reels to order and needed to combine them all into one package.

So I'm now almost ready to fish this reel. When I get some time over the next few days, I will show the composite Delrin/Stainless top hat I made for the drag stack, with dimensions, and why I will probably have to refine it a little, as I'm not 100% happy with it. I had also been in contact with Adam for one of his custom handle arms, but for reasons I will explain, I decided not to go with one of his well made cranks, and took it on myself. Its nothing against your products Adam, it was a case of necessity for the stainless handle I had turned. Basically it came down to correcting something I hadn't considered. In fact I have made a few little ball-ups on this build, which I'll elaborate on when I post again.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Tiddlerbasher

Stunning engineering - An Uber Tank :)

jonnou

Alto Mare

Quote from: jonnou on October 15, 2014, 08:07:47 AM
can't wait
what a cliff hanger!!
x2  ;D
Never mind fishing it, that reel belongs in the museum. I can't wait to see the finished product.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.