Avet MXL 4.5:1 Grinding Noise

Started by Bucktail, June 28, 2010, 03:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

naw, you should be able to dig it out.  make a bearing puller like the one here.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13.0
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bucktail

I GOT IT!!! :D

Thank you akfish and Alan.  That bearing puller did the trick! 8)  Surprisingly, neither the bearing or the frame look all that bad.

Anyway, now I'm just waiting for Avet to send the new bearings.
Just a jig-a-lo

alantani

Bucktail

I finally got this reel back together with the new pinion bearing.  That was definitely the problem.  Thanks again to Alan and AKFish. 

I was going to also replace the drive shaft bearings (since they look a little rusty) but Avet sent me the wrong ones.  In any case the reel feels 100 times better than it was with the old pinion bearing.  Maybe I really don't need to change out the other bearings. 

What do you think? ???
Just a jig-a-lo

alantani

it will go out eventually.  make sure you have back up bearings.  you don't have to change them now, though.  alan

Bucktail

They sent the other bearings.  I should have asked this earlier, but I'll ask it now.  The bearings have a blue seal on them.  Can I assume they are lubricated since they are sealed? 
Just a jig-a-lo

Bryan Young

I would open it up, clean it out and lube it so you know for sure that it is properly lubed.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bucktail

Sounds like good advice.  However, since they are sealed, wouldn't they be lubricated first? 
Just a jig-a-lo

Bryan Young

Which bearings are we talking about?  I cannot recall.

In any event, if the bearings are spool bearing where you want as much free spool as possible, you want to clean out the grease and lube with a low viscosity lubricant, such as Xtreme Reel, ReelX, TSI 301,...

Other bearings, like the drive shaft or gear bearing, they do not always have sufficient grease in them to protect the bearing for this type of load application, and as I recall, 80% fill is recommended. 

Bearings are greased to be used for a variety of applications, and cleaning and lubing based on your specific application would be preferred.

See http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=37.0 regarding bearing used in the Avet Pro EX 4/0-2.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bucktail

They are the pinion and drive shaft bearings.  So, it looks like I can't take the easy way out.  I'll have to open them up and pack them.

Thanks Bryan
Just a jig-a-lo

Bryan Young

For got, if you have one of Alan's bearing packers http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=50.0, you don't need to remove the shields.  Greased is forced through the bearing opening, fills the bearings and exits the other end of the bearing.  If it pops the cap off on the other end, just snap it back in.

Alan just got a new shipment of bearing packers.  Great addition to any reel repair kit.