Shimano Stradic 4000fh line guide bearing

Started by woodmizer5, April 04, 2014, 02:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmizer5

Hi guys:
This is my first post, and I'm hoping someone can help me. I picked up a stradic 4k fh at a garage sale for $15, and I need to replace the line guide. After ordering parts and replacing all parts in area I noiced that the inside bearing race is still on the bail, and does not want to come off. Can someone tell me the best way to remove it without damaging the bail, and when replacing does the bearings open face or closed face go to the outside?
Thanks Don ???

Bryan Young

I heat it lightly with a propane torch and spray lubricant to cool, like corrosionX.  Then take tiny vise grips and clamp on the race tight enough so it holds and twist off.  If it still doesn't move, repeat the process.

But, usually if the bearing is stuck, the alignment pins on the bail has been worn off and may require replacing the bail assembly.  The alignment pins will prevent the bail from twisting under load.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

philaroman

you can also soak in a solvent and/or freeze before heating...  and, as a last resort, you can very, Very, VERY CAREFULLY Dremel it off

as far as position for single-shielded bearings, it should work either way -- consider what you want to achieve:  you may want the open side "out", so you can inspect/lube with minimal disassembling; OR, you may want the shielded side "out", if you think debris is most likely to enter from that direction

woodmizer5