Pohnpei fishing pics

Started by Paul_A, April 06, 2014, 05:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul_A

Moved here last year from Florida and absolutely love the fishing here. Pohnpei is the largest island in the Micronesia chain and is surrounded by a ring reef. Just outside the reef is the deep blue Pacific and pelagics like to roam close by so there are no long runs required. Most of my fishing is done from a few hundred yards to 6-8 miles offshore.

Wahoo visit the island in numbers from October till April. Here's a 46lber caught on a Yozuri in the prop wash.

Mahi show up around the same time as the Wahoo, here's a deck shot of my boat with a few. I was alone that day so I had a lot of fun reeling them in. It's legal for anyone here to sell fish at the market and the locals love fresh fish so I sometimes sell extra fish to help cover my fuel costs. 5 bucks a gallon here.

Sailfish visit the island as well. I was alone again this trip, bill in one hand, camera in the other.

Yellowfin tuna are here year round but in greater numbers in the summer. Here's a 53lber I caught last month.

Great fishing here, anyone wants to make the trek here I can arrange a charter and also tons of great hiking, diving and snorkeling as well. I work for a guy who is opening a new hotel in June so I can help with a place to stay as well.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

Welcome Paul! Keep Living that Dream Brother! ;D
Life is Good!

Mandelstam

Wow x2!

Fifteen years ago I was backpacking the south pacific (PNG, Solomons, Fiji, Tahiti) for six months. Never got to Micronesia though. But your story and pictures makes me want to go so bad!

Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Tightlines667

I may have to take you up on that this summer.  I may be traveling there for work this summer.  I train longline and purse fisheries observers throughout the S PAC, and my boss mentioned something about Pohepehi also Honiara.  Looks like you've got some pretty good fishing there.

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Dominick

You keep showing pictures like that and you won't be fishing alone for long.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

whalebreath

Must have been one busy day catching all those Mahi Mahi solo!

And Yes there's no place like the South Pacific the sky is so huge.

ChileRelleno

Dang'it Man!  8)  Those are some schweet pics.

ETA:  I had to come back and look at the Sailfish pic again, that is a great pic.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Paul_A

Thanks guys.

Yes Alan your tutorials are known over here as well. I met a guy here who does his own reel repair and he told me about you. I then told him I've known of you for what, 10 years?

I know it was a long time ago that you posted your first how to rebuild a reel post.

Alto Mare

very nice Paul, looks like paradise. Be careful spilling the beans, it wouldn't take much for Alan and crew to get over there and clean up ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

conchydong

That looks like an awesome place to fish. If  the living conditions are as good as the fishing, you are in paradise. 

the rockfish ninja

:'( This post is making me teary eyed.....WAAAHHH!!!....I don't live in a place like that.

Awesome pics, delicious looking fish, man U got it good. ;)
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: conchydong on April 07, 2014, 01:48:17 AM
...paradise.  

paradise "is where the heart is"...;):) and after seeing this photos i think it's time for me to visit my native land "Pilipinas".

Tiddlerbasher

I am now officially jealous as hell. Good on you man  ;D