Best knot or method to unite mono leader to braid.

Started by OSIRIS631, April 07, 2014, 03:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mackereljoe

Dominick

Quote from: Bill_N on March 05, 2015, 12:59:10 AM
Quote from: jonnou on July 08, 2014, 10:44:27 AM
I like this one An eazy version of the GT I think
I think it may have been mentioned earlier you can tie it at sea! will post this and going back to study the other Knots in this post to see if any match. also for small diamater braid using uni to uni I double the braid up and be carefull tightening it up

I tried this knot to attach an 80lb mono leader to 80lb braid and could not get it to cinch up tight enough to grip the mono. I will say it's Izorline 80lb mono which is pretty hard but ended up going with the uni to uni on it. It seems like the knot works best with a thinner braid that will bite into the mono.
I used this knot on the tank.  It held on for Tuna and Marlin.  It is a very strong knot and goes through the guides easily.  I think it is called the GT.  It is also easy to tie.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ALASKAFISHMAN

Fish and hunt, Fish and hunt, eat, sleep fish and hunt, fish and hunt

speedwagon2

Guys and gals, 
  Go to the Royal Polaris long range boat website(I think it is www. royalpolaris.com).  Go to the video section on knots. Go info. Look for the RP knot, or Royal Polaris knot, or the John Collins knot.  Easy to tie on a small boat pitching in the swells.  I have used it for up to 80lb mono or fluoro to 80+ spectra. it is similar to a lot of other knots but easier to tie then most because the smaller diameter spectra is tied over the stiff mono or fluoro.  This is the knot recommeded by the Royal Polaris crew for top shots of mono for cow tuna with much bigger line then I use.  I have used this knot for local tuna fishing for three plus seasons with out a failure.  You will have to search thru the videos to find the right one.  This knot is easy to learn.  After you do it twice you got it.  I can tie 80lb spectra to 80 mono at sea on my 22 ft boat in about 2 minutes. A young set of eyes and hands could do it faster. it is similar to an Albright or Dominic's Knot, but easier to tie.
   Check it out,  Dave Babcock  AKA Speedwagon2

Tiddlerbasher

I've stopped using knots for joining braid (solid) to mono - I only use a length of hollow braid and splice into it. Braid in one end mono in the other. I 'serve' the two connections with Instaflex (flexible super glue).

speedwagon2

Splicing is a good option if your hands and eyes are up to the task.  I have several reels where the top shot or leader is spliced into hollow Tor Tamer braid by chark baits shop.  I have not had failures in any of these connections.  My old cement mason/carpenter hands are not going to learn that skill.  The RP knot is small and will pass thru guides with out resistance. My dedicated trollers use loop to loop connections which have proven to be reliable.  I buy 25ft leaders of Seaguar or Hi Seas floro leader made up with a loop connections. I try and keep my knot inventory to two I use all the time.  The R.P. for braid to mono/flouro, and the San Diego Jam for terminal connections to hooks, swivels, etc.  I try to use swaged connections for hooks for 80+ lb leader material.  The SD Jam knot will work but is hard to draw done properly when being bounced around in a good sea.  That is why I bring multiple rods rigged in advance to avoid that issue.
  Dave Babcock, AKA Speedwagon2

Ling

I'll,second the RP knot.  I fished the SOA trip and tied 40 lb flour on to 40 lb braid and it never failed.  I tied the Spangler for terminal connection.  I fished 16 lbs of drag.  9 yellowtail in a row with no problem.  I got rocked, retied, and caught 9 more with the same.  On one bigger fish in particular, I thumbed the spool really hard with no issues.  I'm a fan of simple knots I can tie in any conditions and get them right every time.  I think these two are it for me for now.  They worked.  I'm sure others could be just as good or better, but they worked and I put the wood to 'em hard every time.

chainsaw1949

I just put braid on my Daiwa spinning reel, used 10 pound test mon backing and then attached 110 yards of Spiderwire, 30 pound with a double uni. Attached the leader, about 2 rod lengths with another double uni. We pulled pretty tight on both knots and they seem pretty strong. Hope so, going to try it out. Saw the video on the FG knot and it looks good too but I guess I just found the double uni easier to tie so went with it.
The world needs more Tackle boxes and less X Boxes

Bryan Young

We've been using the Modified Slim Beauty Connection Knot.  Seems to be a variation from the RP knot and haven't had a single failure yet.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=16990.0
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Aiala

Dave, I agree; this excellent strong knot has yet to fail me. It took a few tries to get it right, but that's to be expected.  :)

Here's the inventor, John Collins himself, showing how it's done:

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

MarkT

It's been said before but I'll say it again:  The best knot to tie is the knot you tie best. A supposedly 100% knot that you don't tie correctly is a failure waiting to happen.

Let's face it, even an 80% connection when you're fishing with the drag set to 33% is over twice as strong as it needs to be. I usually use the Improved Albright/Alberto/JC/RP knot but also use the Bob Sands/Tony Pena, Uni-Uni or Albright. I put a drop of superglue on all of them for insurance. They all work well under anything approaching real fishing conditions.

I had no connection failures on any of the 8 rigs I used on the AT 5-day last month.  Spectra/mono connections were the Improved Albright and terminal tackle was with a San Diego. Due to a massive spectra tangle on the 5-day, my spectra was cut and retied using a uni-uni by Capt Brian.  I continued to catch fish on that reel.  I have since replaced the 50# spectra with 65#... why take chances?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

akfish

I've been making wind on leaders for a few years now and have yet to have a failure, but I've seen  a few happen on the boat. I'm about ready to use the RP knot instead. It is so easy to tie and seems strong, but I'm curious whether it is recommended for heavy line -- like 130# spectra to 130# fluorocarbon. Does anyone have experience using it with heavy line?
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

oc1

I had a near failure with a FG knot, but after trying everything else went back to the FG.  With only one width of the mono or flouro it is the smallest diameter knot and you can whip the end so there is no mono/flouro tag end to catch on things.  It does not click as it runs through the guides and can even be cast through the small levelwind guide on a baitcasting reel.
-steve

coastal_dan

I used the video from Saltstrong.com and practiced their version of the FG knot, in my opinion it is a fantastic linear knot; goes through the guides great and is nice and low profile on the spool.  I used it attaching my 60 lb fluoro leader to my 65 lb braid main.  Numerous fish and quite a few drops to 350+ feet with 32 oz and I'm sold.  I did inspect the knot a few times just to check for slippage and...none. 

Their video makes it very easy to learn this knot, in my opinion.  Check it out when you get a chance.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

coastal_dan

Just going to bump this again for anyone who is curious.

I just finished tying a few of the FG knots for a trip this Friday...Easy strong, looks great, and goes through the guides like a breeze...I just bumped up the 2x half hitches to 4x, but that was just for piece of mind.

One thing to note, I used this on a couple of Charter Special levelwinds and there aren't many knots you can pack with line, then tie on a topshot, while incorporating the levelwind mechanism...you can with the FG.

Tight Lines all.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...