Question for you 113h penn experts

Started by gstours, April 08, 2014, 06:39:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Hello out there.....Did penn produce and 4/1 gear ratio gears in their reels that anybody knows of????or were the 4/1 gr aftermarket products??????  also do newell gears have marks identifying them, I know accurates are etched on gear bottom.   I would like to hear from readers about the main gear.........I found one but its steel and does not have a pinion gear........
   Also how many teeth would a 4/1 main gear have??      and finally how many teeth would the pinion have???? would it be one fourth as many???     seems like it.   Seems like somebody would know........       thanks    gstours.

BMITCH

Hi GST, I happen to have my Newell gears out and the main has 50 and the pinion has 12. Gives ya a 4.166666. Hope that helps.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Newell Nut

Newell made a 4.1 gear set for Penns at one time and there is no marking on a Newell gear. They are very strong gears though.

Ron Jones

I didn't think there was a difference between the 4.0 and 4.1 Newell gears. I understood that they realized the ratio was actually 4.1 and so started marketing them as such. That is just my memory though.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Quote from: BMITCH on April 08, 2014, 09:18:12 AM
Hi GST, I happen to have my Newell gears out and the main has 50 and the pinion has 12. Gives ya a 4.166666. Hope that helps.
Bob
Bob, are you sure? Now I'm wondering where you got those from :-\.
I have an earlier Newell set  and a later set, both main have 49 and pinion 12 giving 4.083:1

Ron, Accurate main has 40 teeth and the pinion 10, Black Pearl's also have 40 teeth and the pinion 10. A perfect 4:1 ratio.
Newell used stronger steel, it was actually much cheaper that what Black Pearl is using, but if you don't do maintenance often on those,  they will get pretty rusty,I've seen the metal washers welded to the main..
Personally, I like the 40 teeth, those are much beefier.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Sal, yeah I counted them twice. Originally bought a bunch of years ago from chark bait. Had to grind the side plate to fit in the main gear. I'll post a pic when I'm in the shop in the AM.

gstours

Thanks for the responses;  this is good I got some information......I do have an accurate set and the main gear is etched 4/1 on bottom of gear.  I imagine that the pinion must be of same manufacture or the angles etc will be off to not work at all or be noisy??????? the main gear is sst and has 50 teeth but no identifying marks..........its all good to learn a little everyday!!!!!!gstours.

BMITCH

Here ya go Sal & Gary.

Hope this helps.
Bob

Alto Mare

Bob, I first thought you were showing a wall clock ;D. thanks for the pic, now I'm wondering if they had issues with those :-\.
Accurate must have been one up on them, their set have 10 less teeth and give the same results, Accurate are much beefier.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.