Talica Versus Trinidad?

Started by Reverendpdp, August 10, 2016, 12:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reverendpdp

I'm looking for a nice 30# reel that will cast far.  I like the lever drag system and 2 speed feature of the Talica (TAC8ii) but feel the Trinidad (TN12A) will be a better caster.  I need a good caster.  Will the Talica put me in a serious disadvantage when casting?  

Also it seems there's quite a bit of size variation from a Talica 12 and a Trinidad 12.  Is this correct?  I'd like the reel to hold 300-400 yards of 30# braid.

conchydong

If you are only fishing it 30lb, no need for the Talica 12. The Talica 12 is more of a 40 or 50 lb class reel IMO. The Trini will be fine and will edge out the Talica in casting even though the Talicas cast good for lever drags.

Tiddlerbasher

I think the Trinidad 12 would be a better sized reel. The Talica is almost double the weight of the Trinidad and holds way more line. For less bucks have a look at a 2 speed Okuma 5a  ;) It also casts well (I had to 'tame' mine with a mag in the side plate)

MarkT

A Talica 12 will  hold 400 yds of 65# spectra.  It's the same size as an Avet JX or Daiwa 40 size.  A Trini 12 or 14 would be what you'd want to look at... or a Fathom or Torque 12.  I have the Fathom 12 star drag and an Avet Valiant 300 as my smallest conventional reels.

By and large a star drag will cast better than an equivalent lever drag due to the lighter spool on the star drag.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!