Regular Bearing or Ceramic Bearing? Which one is better?

Started by Chandler, April 09, 2014, 02:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chandler

???

johndtuttle

Quote from: Chandler Yu on April 09, 2014, 02:54:56 PM
???

Ceramic are rarely better for fishing reels, particularly in the Salt where they have to be greased anyways.

Some freshwater applications they are considered useful, but not remotely in proportion to their cost. It's like "bling" you cannot see and it makes a mostly insignificant difference in catching fish.

It also greatly depends on where and what precisely the bearing is asked to do. They must not be subjected to great torque strain as the balls are easily damaged as compared to stainless etc.

We need more information to truly give our opinion.  ;)

philaroman

if you absolutely MUST have a few extra yards casting distance w/ a light F/W baitcaster & don't mind paying through the nose, you can run ceramic spool bearings DRY & NOISY (no seals, no lube)

Chandler

Quote from: philaroman on April 09, 2014, 03:40:46 PM
if you absolutely MUST have a few extra yards casting distance w/ a light F/W baitcaster & don't mind paying through the nose, you can run ceramic spool bearings DRY & NOISY (no seals, no lube)

No lube?   A good idea!

Chandler

IF I NEED TO LUBE CERAMIC BEARINGS?
ANY GREASE OR OIL RECOMMENDED?

Bryan Young

If you lube ceramic bearings, you might as well use SS bearings.  Ceramic bearings are made to run dry.  Any lubricants will slow them down.

With that said, if you already have ceramic bearings, use a light oil like rocket fuel, xtreme reel, TSI321,...  There are many out there, but not sure what is available in Taiwan.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

philaroman

don't forget Hybrids (steel races / ceramic balls): the oils Bryan mentioned will make 'em quiet & last longer; dry w/ no seals will give you a couple extra yards, but you have to deal w/ noise & clean/replace more often