How to cleaning my reels After a fishing trip, especially for salt water fishing

Started by Chandler, April 13, 2014, 12:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chandler

rinse the reel in cold(or warm) water?
or wipe with a wet towel?

or any other method?

Nuvole

For frequently used reel, rinse with cold water will do.
But if you are planning to store the reel for more than a month, better off despool the line.

Bryan Young

I rinse my reels off with warm water and air dry.  I haven't had any problems.  But all my reels have been serviced.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 13, 2014, 03:56:56 PM
I rinse my reels off with warm water and air dry.  I haven't had any problems.  But all my reels have been serviced.
Same here, its also a good idea to do the rod at the same time, especially the guides. after leaving them out to dry I wipe everything down with a small rag and a little oil, just a couple of drops will do.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Aiala

I actually use a spray bottle of warm fresh water... works very nicely on both rods and reels.  :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Aiala on April 13, 2014, 04:18:24 PM
I actually use a spray bottle of warm fresh water... works very nicely on both rods and reels.  :)

~A~
Good advice Aiala ;).
Dominick takes his gear to the shower ::) ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bluefish69

Sal

I take my rods in the shower too. Reels go in the sink with warm water. My problem is my rods don't come off the boat often enough working on a Open Boat. This year I will be working a Blue Fish boat [Brooklyn VI] with either Jigs or Chum.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Alto Mare

There isn't anything wrong with that, jus make sure that you or Dominick keep details to a minimum ;)

Aiala

Sometimes after a trip I'll take my rods to my Dad's house and smack them repeatedly on the surface of his swimming pool, which cleans them off very thoroughly --especially any salt crust on the guides-- then I spray them down with warm fresh water and dry 'em with a big towel. Good as new!  :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

and before rinsing your reels don't forget to tighten the drag. as for my rods i'm with Dominick and Mike, give my rods a good wash by using sponge dishwasher detergent and rinse afterwards and then i take a shower... :) ;) :D ;D

Shark Hunter

That's an advantage of staying in a condo in Florida. There is always an outside shower to get the sand off you before you go in the room. I never leave my gear in the Truck. I hose them off outside and then bring them in the condo and dry them off every night.
When my trip is over. Back Home, I'll take the line off the spool and wax it. I'll do a complete teardown of each reel to make sure there was no water intrusion.
Life is Good!

MFB

Armour All wash & wax carwash & warm water with a soft car washing brush & then a rinse off with the garden hose.

Rgds

Mark   
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Jeri

Hi All,

After our fishing trips, all the reels get dumped in a bucket of fresh water, to get rid of all the salt, sand and dust, then allowed to dry in the open air.

Rods get pretty much the same treatment, a mild detergent and good wash down.

The next step is where we digress from the norm, we spray a silicone furniture polish on the rods, and all the reel seats, and give them a good polish. This certainly stops a lot of the dust and salt sticking to the rods, acts as a mild lubricant for the reel seats, and certainly keeps them in top condition.

If we are really feeling good, we will spray and wipe the reels with the same, to just stop sand and salt accumulating on the reel outer surfaces.

We also use it on rods with joints, as basically nothing sticks to silicone, so we avoid the problem of jointed rods becoming one piece!!!

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Jeri on April 14, 2014, 06:20:37 AM
...we spray a silicone furniture polish on the rods, and all the reel seats, and give them a good polish...

learned another one, thanks Jeri! and i think i start a chain of "reel wash" in CA... :)