Avet reels drags question

Started by mbg60, December 22, 2014, 04:16:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbg60

Since it is common knowledge that Avet's don't preform well above their max drag capabilities, would I still ruin the pinion bearings if I set the drag at the stated max drag but thumbed/apply additional pressure to the spool during a run by a large fish?
Mahalo in advance for your responses.  Mark

alantani

in theory, no.  in practice, you will likely damage the bearing.  it is the weakest link in the reel, something that simply cannot be helped.  it's easy enough to replace, though.  use your reel with confidence.   if/when the bearing becomes rough, simply replace it.  it's something worth learning.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mbg60

Mahalo Alan.  I was just "theorizing".  I have replaced the pinion bearings on my non-Raptor models before.  I never had to do that on the Raptor models so far. 
7 of my 9 Avets just came back from factory service.  They replaced most of the bearings in all of the reels. Since I fish only from the shoreline I don't think I'll ever need all the capabilities of my Raptor models.  I already proved that a 50lb GT will only take 10 yards of line when using 30lbs of drag.