Avet MXL 4.5,,what Year

Started by Irish Wake, January 14, 2015, 06:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irish Wake

Looking for Info on what Year's this Avet MXL 4.5/1 was made,and what's your opinion of this reel,I Just pick this reel up the other day look like new in Box,,its been use a couple time,also pickup Avet SX 5.3 MC New,would like Opinion on the SX 5.3 MC,,Apresheat any Info

Irish Wake

I've been a Penn and Shimano guy,pick these up mainly for Inshore Flounder and striper,,Jigging,,other then setting the Drag to hi,is there anything else I should know,Just service the MLX 4.5 Grease the Drags,,for a reel that look new could not believe the salt inside it,was able the save all the Bearing but what a Job getting them out,,I also though all the inside part were made of SS,it look like the big drive gear I'll call main gear,look like its made of Brass ,,any Avet Guy's out there         

akfish

A couple things: The early MXLs came in two gear ratios, 4.5:1 and 6.0:1. The 4.5 is a great little 20# - 30# class bait reel. It has the noisy anti-reverse but I've yet to find one fail, and I've serviced lots of them because they are quite popular for salmon up here. Getting the pinion and drive shaft bearings out can be tough. (ReelSpeed's bearing remover only occasionally helps). If there was lots of salt inside the reel there is only one cause: Not taking care of the reel; i.e., rinsing after every trip and complete service at least once per year. As for the year, I can only guess but I think the newer models with 5.8:1 gears and a different anti-reverse, came out about 7 or 8 years ago.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Irish Wake

akfish,I apresheat your Info,yes I agree poor service,reel look new,that why you can't judge a book buy its cover,Pinion and shift Bearing were though but the Break Bear was Brutal getting out,,I was close to just ordering a new Break Plate and Bearing,,any trick to pulling these Bearing, cloud not get the seals off the Break bearing so I let it soak in 301 and installed,whats your opinion on that,

Keta

I make a mini rolling head bar out of sheetrock screws that work well for removing Avet pinion bearings.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Irish Wake

Keta,Thank You buddy, American Engine new witty,I will be making one up to night,,,should this Main Gear in this Avet be made of Brass or SS