Alan...have you ever....

Started by Palmerro, April 17, 2009, 06:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palmerro

Hotrodded a Tiagra A reel? I have a pair of Tiagra 50A reels and getting ready to buy 2 more. I would like to bump up my drag at least to the equivalent of the 50 WLRSA. (from28.5/37.5 to35/44) Studying the schematics I see the only difference from the 50WA & 50WLRSA is a couple of bellevilles and a preload washer. Other than the spool, frame & main axle the only difference in TIAGRA 50A & 50WLRSA is two additional Bellvilles. Based on what you have taught me on the TLD's I know we have some opportunities here. I am hoping you may have addessed this already so I can simply follow the Good Masters professional direction. Much easier that way!
Just lookin for that little something extra under the hood.....
Thanks Again,
Jeff in Buford

alantani

jeff, lately, things have been starting to blur together a little.  the tiagras are all very similar.  the difference between stock and long range specials is usually just the bellevilles.  go for it!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Palmerro

Alan...Just getting ready to go to work on this reel and thought I would take a look at your Tiagra 16 tutorial. I saw where you had done to it just what I was wanting to do to my reels! Great. tell me this... why did you have to move the thrust washer? Surely the stack would measure the same if it were on the other side. What do I need to be looking for after I add the 2 bellevilles?

Palmerro

Alright Alan, heres the story...I opened up the reel and the bellville arrangement was ()(()) with a bearing thrust washer against the spool bearing and preload washer at the other end. The stack measured 8.11 mm. I had to open up another reel to get a couple more bellevilles then set them up as (((()))) with the same washer arrangement. now the entire stack measured 9.38mm.
So I took out the preload washer and we are down to 8.43 mm. put it all back together and we now have over 50 lb. of drag with 15 seconds of freespool with grease still in the spool bearings).  I may I have the first Tiagra 50 LRSA xtreme on the block!
Thanks for the lessons master. Now could you possibly send me 8 bellevilles (key 40) so I can finish up.
You are the man!
Jeff

alantani

very nice!  pm your address to me and i'll mail them out, or call shimano at 877-577-0600.  they often ship out small orders like this for free.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

TechTeach

Bumping this up because I just picked up a pair of 50A's in mint condition.

Can I really turn them into LRSA's with 2 washers?

??? ???
"Where's that damn dog spring??????"