oils for felt washers

Started by kenwahoo, April 29, 2012, 01:25:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenwahoo

Felt washers remain the common material for drag in reels up to medium quality. Being felt they need to be oiled. I've done a search but there's very little info on what ought to be the oil used for these washers. I think most people will use reel oil or sewing machine oil as that's the easiest obtainable and thin in viscosity. Not every reel requires upgrade to carbon fibre washers. So any pros and cons for various oils in this application?

Bryan Young

Sorry, none here.  I've upgrade all of my felt washers to greased carbon drag washers.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

X3  From my small Calcutta 51s up to my 70s, 100% carbon fiber drags.  Toss the felt washers.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

redsetta

x4 - every reel will benefit from the upgrade.
Be wary though - I've cut a lot in recent months and, while CF's not particularly toxic, I find the dust really irritating on the skin.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

I agree Justin. Try not to create any dust.
I use these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leather-hole-punch-7-16-/200751563032?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebdb9c118
They work great , all you do is place the CF sheet on a piece of wood and hit them once with these cutters. They do a great job, I picked up a nice used set for $20 a while back, best money I ever spent. New, these cutters are expensive. If you keep looking you can get lucky, I paid $2 a piece on ebay. For the larger washers, I just mark and cut them with scissors.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Somewhere in my stuff from when I was gainfully employed I have a set of those punches and a gasket cutter, I never thought to use them.  I do have a shop vac that sucks the carbon particles when I'm Dremeling out the ID and sanding the OD.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

cmaraj1

im tryin to fix this old ladys penn sargus that fishes at my pier.....   she sprayed wd40 all over the reel, and in the drag washers there was wd40 dipping out, i took it apart and wiped it down as best i could but still , but the drag is still soo extremely tight even with a loose setting???
can you guy help with a cheap fix???

Prefessa

While Felt gets a bad rap for SW reels....In Light and Ultra Light applications it has a time and place....I would use pure neatsfoot oil. Oiled felt and Oiled Cork have the lowest startup inertial around...you just arent gonna get stopping power...up to about 10# test it cant be beat.....With 2-4# its the only choice.

My Okuma spinning reels have oiled felt and I have put the hurts to fish to 21#s on it. Not a material for the high surf or a boat