extended reel kits

Started by tbucketford429460, August 03, 2011, 08:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbucketford429460

What are the different extended reel kits that newell and others made for 113h, 114h and jig masters I have read different things and seen all these different names does someone know what the specs and info about these reel kits.
thanks
wade

Board4life

What do you mean by extended reel kit? Are you talking about the frame upgrades?

tbucketford429460

Intereested in the kits that were made by newell herd about different one like black marlin, broadbill, yellowtail but I dont know what reels these go with.
thanks
wade

Ratchet

Newell once made a bunch of conversion kits specifically to fit various Penn reels.  My guess is that Carl stopped making these kits in the late 1980's.  Since you specifically asked for "extension" kits that would increase the line capacity of these reels, these are the ones I'm aware of:

For the Penn 500 Jigmaster, the kit was called "Yellowfin Special" which is equivalent to the Newell 344 series reel but the spools don't interchange unless you also have Newell's 300C sideplates.

The Penn 112H Special Senator had 2 kits, the smaller is called the "Tuna Special" and the bigger one called the "Bluefin Special".

The Penn 113H Special Senator had 2 kits, the smaller is called the "Marlin Special", and the bigger one called the "Broadbill Special".

The Penn 114H Special Senator had just one kit, the  "Black Marlin Special".

Newell also made an aluminum spool for the Penn 68 Long Beach, that fit the black Penn 113 Senator but you will need to find the bars and chrome reel foot from the old-style Penn 113HLW.  Very difficult to find any new-old-stock parts like that anymore.

I hope this helps.

tbucketford429460

Ron Jones

I know I am resurrecting an old thread, but I am at the point where this is relevant. I am looking at a Marlin special and a Tuna special right now. The Tuna special will use Lee's octagon insert and the Marlin Special may very well get hex drags also. I am concerned about too much drag. I know the Newell kit can outdo a factory reel, but by how much? Can I run the Tuna Special at 20#s? How about the Marlin Special at 25? Any and all opinions will be apreciated.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

cabaj047

looking to upgrade my jigmaster 500, where can i buy a "yellowfin special" online?

doradoben

You will probably have to search ebay, bloody decks, fishing flea markets, etc, because these parts probably haven't been made for quite some time.

Ron Jones

Their is a yellowfin on the bay right now.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"