Penn 111 Drag Upgrade

Started by Norcal Pescador, June 03, 2010, 10:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norcal Pescador

Alan,

I see in your 111 rebuild you changed the drag stack from a 1+3 to a 1+5, but had to do some Dremel work to accomplish that. I just rebuilt a 111 to the original configuration except for putting a #6-60 in place of the #4 fiber washer.

I'm hesitant to do the Dremel work on a good reel, but was wondering if I could go to a 1+4 (slotted-keyed-slotted-keyed) stack with #6-60 washers and improve the drag performance or does there have to be an odd number of metal washers? This will be a light duty (bottom fish) or maybe yellowtail reel even though it has 30# mono backing and a 100-yard topshot of 50# spectra.

Thanks.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

the problem with the plain #6-60 is that it will flatten out severely.  smoothdrag has a carbon fiber washer that is much stronger and eliminates the need for dremelling. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Woods020

Alan,

Which washer set did you use? I don't see one listed for 111 on their website.

Thanks

Keta

Did you use Bryan's hardened .020 metal washers?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

the drag set is made up of the carbontex drag that normally goes under the main gear of the jigmaster, plus five of the #6-60 penn drags, and five of the stock stainless steel penn washers.  the old fashioned brass penn washers are a little thinner, and bryan's washers are thinner still, but they all work. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

handi2

The Carbontex washer for the Penn 7500SS works well also.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Woods020

Cone

Quote from: handi2 on May 20, 2014, 10:59:16 PM
The Carbontex washer for the Penn 7500SS works well also.

The 7500ss uses 6-60 drag washers so the carbontex washer should be the same size.   Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

crackerman

Is the 6-60 washer from penn a ht100 or carbon material? Or would i be better off ordering everything from smooooth drag?

Keta

Quote from: crackerman on May 21, 2014, 07:23:17 PM
Is the 6-60 washer from penn a ht100 or carbon material? Or would i be better off ordering everything from smooooth drag?

HT-100 is woven carbon and you will always be better off ordering from Dawn at SmoOoth Drag.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain