painting spool with appliance epoxy

Started by floating doc, April 24, 2014, 04:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

floating doc

There's some rattle can versions that I've used on rod blanks. It's pretty tough, so I'm thinking of trying some on the beat up spool on my 115L.
Central Florida

EEames

Floating Doc, I've recently tried this on a Penn 49 Super Mariner spool that was pretty ugly. It came out looking much nicer, but I can't say how durable it will be as I haven't fished it yet. I've used the rattle cans of appliance epoxy on gun stocks and downrigger reels and it's been quite durable. I've also tried it on lead flutter jigs and it flakes off readily on contact with rocks. I think on the hard substrate of a reel spool, it should prove to be fairly durable.

Eric

floating doc

Wow, that looks good! I'm going to give it a go.

Thanks for the reply,  and welcome to the website!  Where are you located?
Central Florida

Keta

I checked out the color availability and I'm going to try "stainless steel" on some of my pitted rings and spools.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

EEames

Thanks for the welcome! I'm located in NW Washington (Bellingham). If you fish yours first, please report on how well it holds up.

floating doc

Quote from: EEames on April 30, 2014, 01:12:28 AM
Thanks for the welcome! I'm located in NW Washington (Bellingham). If you fish yours first, please report on how well it holds up.

I'm going to be using it for beach shark fishing next month. That should be a pretty good test of durability.
Central Florida