avet or accurate for distance casting???????

Started by cmaraj1, April 23, 2014, 05:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmaraj1

im looking at an avet lx  or an accurate for distance casting for the surf...... or even off a pier....
i heard the free spool on the avet is crazy long....
never had he chance to play with an accurate
any advice fellas???????

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

i have an Avet SX, MXJ MC and BX-500N. for casting the Avets are better because of less spool mass. but beware of run offs with the non-MC models, hope this helps!

dobrobill

I have the avet Lx and a coupe of mx's.  Because of the size the mx is a better choice for the surf if you must use a lever drag. However if distance is the desire I find new star drags are easier to cast and deal with around the sand or pier. I also own an accurate bx 600 that won't come close to the others regardless of mass/size of spool  being the main factor etc.  Reels with red hot bearings have to be slowed down to keep the backlash away.

Bryan Young

it really comes down to the rotational spool mass with the line on the spool.  Wider spools will tend to do better than narrower spools with the same line capacity between both reels.

For example, a Newell 235 will tend to cast a lot farther than a Newell 322.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

i vote for an SX or MXJ instead of an Accurate. and don't forget a longer rod, at least 8', also helps! :) personally for shore casting i'd use at least a 9' rod, especially for conventionals, where it's allowed... :)

dobrobill

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 23, 2014, 06:36:22 PM
it really comes down to the rotational spool mass with the line on the spool.  Wider spools will tend to do better than narrower spools with the same line capacity between both reels.

For example, a Newell 235 will tend to cast a lot farther than a Newell 322.

I always found this to be true , but someone told me once he could cast the narrow versions farther.  I have a saltiest I have been using lately and that thing is smoking, like I remember some of the old ABU Garcia's.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

cmaraj1

so the bigger the spool the better  distance...

SoCalAngler

I have found narrow spools lighter, the line does not need to travel so far back and forth on the spool causing friction which slows the spool and just easier for me to controll with my thumb. So, for me I get more distance with a more narrow spool.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: cmaraj1 on April 24, 2014, 02:08:30 AM
so the bigger the spool the better  distance...

no necessarily. but the lighter the rotating mass, which in this case is the spool/line, the better the distance. i have read that one of Cal Sheets' modifications on some reels is removing material from the spool. now let me be the first one to tell you that what i'm about to write now is not confirmed by anybody but i'm sure one of the reasons he does this is to lighten(cast better) the spool and probably probably to fit more line.

Also IMHO the LX is a bit too large for distance casting. if you want more line capacity i recommend the MXL which is basically a wider MXJ. you can go to Avet' website, if you haven't done so, and compare the dimensions.

i have lightened my C4(idle gear and spool) and Conquest's(idle gear) rotating parts and did other modifications to cast better and VOILA! BIRD'S NEST. ;D. took some practicing to get use to these 2 reels again.

anyways, if the spool's weight between similarly sized Avet and Accurate is equal i'd go for an Accurate. but then maybe it's just me...:)

GOOD LUCK and tight lines!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

GOODNESS GRACIOUS GREAT BALLS OF FIRE! ;D ;D ;D completely forgot about the FURY but then again if price is a big consideration in your part and since i have no personal experience with the Fury, Avet SX MXJ or MXL gets my vote.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

can't help it but i have to voice my opinion on narrow vs wide spool. the narrow will always cast better if we are comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges. e.g MXJ vs MXL, taking into consideration all things are equal (no modifications, rod, casting technique, weight of the lure, line etc) the MXJ will cast better. now maybe you'll ask why ??? answer is the MXJ spool is lighter... :)

Jeri

Hi All,

Personally, I would opt for the MXL MC, as they can be modified to give better speed, but retain the magnetic braking system.

However, as I use an MXL MC, I have to qualify it slightly, as here in Namibia we use 14' long poles for surf casting, and get very good distances with most of our modified reel. That said, as soon as I started to us the Avet the distance just seemed to soar.

In our shop we sell both the MXL and LX versions, as well as MC variations to those. The LX gives huge capacity to those that desire it, while the MXL is more than adequate capacity wise for anything other than the biggest sharks that we encounter.

Modifying the MC system, as in its original format is too strong, we dismantle the magnet system, and shave 0.1mm off the face, this reduces the magnetic effect on the spool at #1 position to very close to the reel without magnet control. Thus we can now tune the reel according to the amount of braking that we need.

I can't comment about the Accurate reels for surf casting, so will defer to others for wisdom on those reels. The other reel that you haven't mentioned is the Release SG or the new LG, both have as much free spool as the Avets, but the drag is stronger, and they seem to have overcome the pinion bearing issues that Avets have when they are overloaded.

Have been using the Release SG for about 8-9 months, lovely reel, with little to choose between that and the Avet MXL as far as distance goes with our fishing, but then we are casting 6 or 7oz sinkers plus bait to distances approaching 200 yards.

The one rider that I would mention before you go down this avenue, all the reels above WILL punish you for a jagged casting style – they take no prisoners.

Hope that helps.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

options, options...just too many. OP, is it getting harder to decide which one to buy? at the end of the day it's first hand experience that will determine which rod and reel combo is best for your intended app...tight lines again!

Bryan Young

For apples to apples, I can cast a 113hlw farther than a 113h, but I have a lesser chance for backlash on the 113h for some reason.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D