Reel brake lube (or not) and hybrid lube for small bass reels

Started by PESCAHOLIC, April 30, 2014, 07:31:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PESCAHOLIC

I'm working a tub full of older bass fishing reels and doing my best to super tune. It's certainly a work in progress, but so far, so good.

I have a question with regards to the plastic reel brakes on reels like the Chronarch's. I have polished the drum, but wondering what is the best cleaner and procedure to remove the old black 'stuff' from the buttons and moreover, what is the consensus on oiling the shaft that the nubs/buttons ride on? Are they best dry? Very slight lube on shaft only?

Next issue is, I'm having my best success so far with Boca ABEC 5 hybrids. The the last 10 pack I received had 2 'slow' bearings which I plan to return, but of the 'good' bearings some are reacting great to 301 (spinning freer with 301 than dry), and others are reacting horribly (very substantial slowdown with even the slightest hint of 301). What could be causing such mixed results and should it really be necessary at this price to have to test each bearing???

I appreciate any feedback.

Thank you!

PS For what it's worth, I've simply added some 301 to some very old Shimano and Lew's bass reels that have been sitting for 10 plus years and had almost zero FS. I simply added 301 without tearing them down or even flushing the bearings...the results on some of the older open bearings on the Shimanos and the NMB's on the Lew's is OUTSTANDING! Why are the older bearings so much better and are the NMB's available anywhere??????

Keta

I use 90% isopropyl alcohol and I'd leave the centrifugal brake parts dry.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

philaroman

I've been told that Boca are overpriced & overrated, while Shimano always used the best Japanese steel bearings.  BTW, Shimano was the original OEM for Lew's Speedspool (then, Ryobi took over when Shimano started making their own Baitcasters) -- maybe Lew's used the same BB source for their later models ???

Keep an eye on eBay for old Shimano Maintenance Kits (spool bearing, "cloth" drag washers, VBS brake collars, drag grease, oil) -- they sell for the price of a bearing, or LESS...  people tend to look for specific parts, rather than a Kit.  I've bought them for as little as $5 regardless of model -- BB/grease/oil were well worth the price, even if drags & collars didn't fit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Maintenance-Kit-for-Shimano-Chronarch-CH100A-101A-CH100KIT-/121283819673?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3d143899&nma=true&si=hJhKVhGht5Zu4g6IwSXL8iApJNI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557