Newell S229-5 spools a,b and c ?

Started by Redfish King, April 27, 2014, 11:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redfish King

I need a spool for a Newell S229-5 preferably aluminum but I found there is an A,B and C spool for this reel
what is the difference in the 3 spools?

alantani

hey, newell guys!  doesn't a penn 140 spool work here?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

bluefish69

I think a 140 spool will fit a 235.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Newell Nut

What I have run into is the shaft length is different with Newells and penns. Don't know about all but that was the case on a 332 that I bought as a Newell and it was for a penn.
As far as ABC you will find that metal and graphite will work except that the sprocket on a metal one may wear out the plastic clicker on the S series. Any 229 spool will fit except maybe from a Blackie. I have zero experience with a Blackie. If you don't use a clicker much you should be fine with a Newell metal spool.

Redfish King

I live and die by the clicker.So my reel problem is the spool shaft.The reel came from ebay and I was putting in a tib frame and checking everything out and found for some reason someone took a dremal

to the shaft end on the left side. So I really only need a spool shaft.I have never replaced a spool shaft on a newell before do they come out easily?

bluefish69

As far as I know you have to replace the whole spool
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Newell Nut

They press out okay on one made by Tiburon but I don't know about the original Newells. Is it too late to return it? Check with chowderpuff7@yahoo.com. He did warranty work for Newell and can be a big help.

Tunacious

I'm not sure what you're asking... ???

You say the spools came in A, B and C. Not sure what you mean. There's the shouldered aluminum, rounded aluminum and graphites which are all shouldered. The aluminum spools came from blackies and the P series. With the blackies and P's, the reels came with a metal clicker set...ss button, dog, spring, screw and circlip.

Newell made aluminum spools for Penn reels back in the day. One of their models was a "99" spool...this is the same size spool as a Newell 332. As has been stated, the spool shafts are different between a  Penn and Newell. In order for a 99 spool to fit onto a Newell P332, Newell made an orange shim that had to be inserted onto the shaft. Others have duplicated this shim out of brass. I've been successful doing this, though, I prefer using a 332 spool. I've never heard of any other "Newell made" spools for Penns that would fit a Newell, even with a shim.

Are you saying a previous owner took a dremell to the graphite/aluminum spool you have so it doesn't fit into your S229? I know someone who can remove spool shafts, and insert new ones. I'm going to have him do this to my 99 spools since I'd rather not use a shim for my 332's. He also cuts spools so they fit smaller Newells....i.e. cut down a 338 spool so it fits a 332. I've only dealt with him regarding aluminum spools...hopefully the same procedure could be done for graphite.

Frank

Quote from: alantani on April 27, 2014, 11:48:10 PM
hey, newell guys!  doesn't a penn 140 spool work here?

In addition to different shafts all Penn Squidder spools (140, 145, 146) have a larger diameter than Newell 200 series reels.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Redfish King

Well this is pretty funny.The spool #A,B and C were stocking designation for the seller on the web all three reels were his and its just his number system.Stop Laughing!!! The stupid Spool #A was in bold letters in the main heading of the item I just find that a little confusing?Okay keep laughing---I am!