Daiwa Magnetic oil Sealed Bearings?

Started by Craigen, May 07, 2015, 06:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craigen

"Few technologies have delivered a wave of design change like the Mag Seal, developed by NASA to deliver fuel in space, Daiwa has adapted this technology to their reels. Mag Seal is a revolutionary system that involves scientifically designed magnetized oil that forms an impenetrable seal that prevents, dust, water and salt intrusion, and eliminates oil spray associated with traditional non-magnetized seals."

If the above quote from Daiwa is true then these kinds of bearings ought to be in every reel.  Does anybody know more about this type of sealed bearing?  I've read one comment that said the special magnetized oil becomes thickened with age and must be replaced.  So that could be a downside.  But the idea of an "impenetrable seal" is great.
BTW, the newly introduced 2015 10 and 15 Saltiga star drag reels have the Mag Seal bearings in them.  They're not available yet in the US.  I assume a full range of sizes will be offered in years to come. 

johndtuttle

Quote from: Craigen on May 07, 2015, 06:28:11 PM
"Few technologies have delivered a wave of design change like the Mag Seal, developed by NASA to deliver fuel in space, Daiwa has adapted this technology to their reels. Mag Seal is a revolutionary system that involves scientifically designed magnetized oil that forms an impenetrable seal that prevents, dust, water and salt intrusion, and eliminates oil spray associated with traditional non-magnetized seals."

If the above quote from Daiwa is true then these kinds of bearings ought to be in every reel.  Does anybody know more about this type of sealed bearing?  I've read one comment that said the special magnetized oil becomes thickened with age and must be replaced.  So that could be a downside.  But the idea of an "impenetrable seal" is great.
BTW, the newly introduced 2015 10 and 15 Saltiga star drag reels have the Mag Seal bearings in them.  They're not available yet in the US.  I assume a full range of sizes will be offered in years to come. 

No, I think you are missing a key concept here. This is a proprietary bearing that can never be serviced, just like the mag seals they use in other reels that can only be Daiwa factory serviced when they have designed the part to be serviced. But the bearings are not intended to ever be serviced. The mag seal oil does not hold up forever but cannot be replaced. Just gotta buy another expensive bearing from Daiwa or chuck the reel (they are betting you will chuck the reel). There is also the question of just what the speed of the oil is versus protection etc. for a given bearing.

I doubt you will never see these reels stand the "test of time" and function perfectly decades later with routine servicing at home. What they are creating is the ultimate and expensive, but essentially something chained to factory service. Fine for one ultimate and expensive fishing trip perhaps...

Not a fan  ;).

A Reel is a simple tool for playing the game of hunting and gathering...the idea that something is so high tech you can't touch the insides is simply anathema to me for this purpose.

Whatever happened to making something more efficient, tougher and reliable?

Craigen

Thanks for clearing that up John.  I knew there had to be a downside.  I guess replacing those special bearings would get expensive.  I'll wait for others to test the new Saltigas.  And look more closely at the US Senators for a star drag reel that's built to last.  Cheers...

johndtuttle

Quote from: Craigen on May 07, 2015, 07:12:36 PM
Thanks for clearing that up John.  I knew there had to be a downside.  I guess replacing those special bearings would get expensive.  I'll wait for others to test the new Saltigas.  And look more closely at the US Senators for a star drag reel that's built to last.  Cheers...

Look for quality stainless gears in a good frame with basic bearings. Any reel like that can be kept alive for a lifetime or two or three.

Dave Bentley

Hi, I have a 2506 Certate (the best reel I have ever owned) that was manufactured in 2010 and the magseal is going OK up to now. In my model it is only on the main shaft but the newer ones also have it on the line roller.

Even Daiwa say the magseal doesn't make the reel water proof, only shower proof. If you dunk it, it will get water inside it.

There is talk in Australia that Daiwa will soon be making the oil available as a spare part at about $40 AU per reel. I'm also led to believe that the reel will also be OK to use with out the Magseal but I haven't tried it as yet.
Only believe that which you know to be true.