Previous topic - Next topic

cmaraj1

anyone have any input on these reels.
such as casting distance?????? etc.

Bryan Young

Quote from: cmaraj1 on April 29, 2014, 02:52:10 AM
anyone have any input on these reels.
such as casting distance?????? etc.
There's a couple write ups in other reels discussion.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Jeri

Hi Cmaraj1,

First, I admit that I have a slight vested interest in these reels as I am the agent for southern Africa. That said, I also have a few minor criticisms of them as well, so hopefully can offer you an objective answer.

Originally designed for boat use and more specifically kayaks, these reels are pretty well made, and the company were very responsive to some early problems with their production models, and have very quickly brought out changes that have cured the original faults.

Bryan Young has written a superb internal review of the reels – the SG model, which relates to 'Small Game', and this was their intent – a game fishing reel to be used with braid or nylon, and from such a tiny reel they are getting 30lbs of drag, which when compared with the other iconic small lever drag is amazing.

I originally bought one early last year to evaluate the prospects as a surf fishing reel, and it is still in service without problems. Compared to the Avet, it is perhaps a little faster in the spool speed department, probably due to the ceramic (hybrid) bearings on the spool. The drag is awesome, very smooth thanks to the carbontex washer, and generally pretty problem free. The care and maintenance instructions from the factory – are just was off the reel with fresh water. Everything is either high grade aluminium or stainless steel, and all the other bearings are shielded ABEC 5 stainless steel.

Casting it is awesome, but takes no prisoners – if your style is slightly jagged, then it will throw crow's nests for fun. Get the casting style smooth and sweet, and it will fly like a  dream.

Since their first release of the SG, they have since designed and released the LG – slightly wider, and we have started to evaluate this reel in our surf scene. Being wider and slightly bigger in diameter, it copes well with our larger species of sharks when baited from the shore. The casting is just what the little one is – just more capacity. They have also increased the drag potential up to 40lbs, which for such a small reel is seriously impressive.

They are currently working on their next model the 'Surf', which is basically an SG with magnetic control, which is a proximity design, rather than the polarity design of the Avet MC series. This will basically cover all those folks that can't quite handle the 'full strength' version, with progressive magnetic control over the spool.

On the down side, because unfortunately there will always be small points that one would change – is the fact that they have elected to avoid bi-metallic corrosion issues between aluminium body and screw, and have used locktited aluminium bolts, which if not handled with extreme care will damage the heads. Personally, for a few bucks they could have used stainless steel allen bolts, and like the rest of the fishing reel world we would have accepted the potential for that corrosion issue – but at the end of the day, it is their design. And, apart from that I have very little issue with what they have produced, a couple of superb little powerhouse reels.

Trust that all helps.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri