photo of the month

Started by alantani, July 11, 2010, 06:55:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Thanks Alan,
I got the fever and can't wait to go again! I didn't actually catch this one, but my fishing Buddies did. I was right there. The Blacktips were taking my bait and then dropping it. I'll get them next time.
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

I thought this photo was impressive. It has nothing to do with reels, but that has to be at least a 30' Whale Shark!
Life is Good!

Bucktail

That's a pretty big whale shark for northern Kentucky! ;D
Just a jig-a-lo

JoeR

Dang, never has there been a case for " we need a bigger boat" than that pic!!!  ;D

alantani

jamie caught a fish!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

here is something so simple, i wonder why i didn't think about it years ago.  it is a simple, elegant solution to a nagging problem.  gentlemen, very well done!

Quote from: VW on June 25, 2013, 05:39:17 PM
I think I have found a way to overcome the objection many have expressed to using the flathead screws I use and have recommended.  And it is easy to do.

The problem is the head OD is larger then the Penn oval head screws.  This leaves the rim of the head overhanging the countersink in the trim ring.  I decided to try to reduce the OD by creating a bevel.

I used an old Penn frame post to hold the screw and chucked that in a drill press.  If the screw had a lot of wobble/runout, was usually able to get it running true enough by loosening and tightening the screw a few times.  Then held a file at 45 degree angle against the rim while turning the post/screw at a fairly slow speed.  Started with a coarse file, then switched to a finer one to remove the burr at the new rim and lightly touch the bevel a couple of times.  You need to move/stroke the file when cutting, otherwise the couple of teeth actually touching and cutting will clog up with chips and stop cutting.  The technique does not require much pressure, just light contact and keep the file moving.

I purposefully made a smaller bevel on the middle screw.  One could probably make a more rounded profile, more like an oval head.  I think it would be more difficult to make them all about the same.  I like the appearance of the bevel and will continue to use it.

Alto Mare has a pic somewhere on the forum showing these screws on a reel with Accurate sideplates.  The screws do stick out a lot and I understand why one would find it unacceptable.  I cannot say this method would solve that problem, but it might. 

VW

Quote from: alantani on June 25, 2013, 06:59:45 PM
here is something so simple, i wonder why i didn't think about it years ago.

Same here.  It really is easy, and quick, to do.  Thanks for the compliment

Keith K

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

alantani

Shark Hunter

My son found a 4/0 in the garbage. I am glad he has the bug now. Not near as bad as me, but we are planning a trip to catch some sharks in Sept. I broke out a couple reels to get the vibe going.
Life is Good!

alantani

you've gotta respect a man that loves his work!  

Shark Hunter

I've been busy guys! ;D
Here are all my penn senators. All greased up with cals and penn Blue grease. I have went through a pound and a half of blue grease! Yes, I am a Penn Nut! :P
I actually have no more reels to rebuild. It is a miracle!
2, 113h's, (One is the tank), Six 114h's, 5, 9/0's, 3, 10/0's, 3, 12/0's, 2. 14/0's, and one 16/0. ;)
Life is Good!

BMITCH

Very, very nice SH. Are those all crown royal bags? Thanks for sharing.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

alantani