HELP????motion sickness or sea sickness....HELP????

Started by cmaraj1, May 06, 2014, 01:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Its Good to have you Back. ;) Let the Sarcasm Begin! ;D
Life is Good!

Quoc_Pham

http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Band-Adult-Wristband-Color-1-Pair/dp/B001F731N0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406743855&sr=8-1&keywords=motion+sickness+bands

I've used these to much success... it puts slight pressure on the inside of your wrist on a tendon? I don't know how it works... witchcraft or something but I haven't gotten sick with this and some OTC "meclizine" which is the active ingredient in all motion sickness pills.

Good luck!

anglingarchitect

I used to get sick, but it's pretty rare now. If I know I'm going on and overnighter or in really bad weather I ware the patch and it's a wonder drug, I have been in some terrible weather for many hours and never feel anything but a little drousy with the patch.

Do the wrist bands work?

Quoc_Pham

Quote from: anglingarchitect on July 30, 2014, 06:46:10 PM
I used to get sick, but it's pretty rare now. If I know I'm going on and overnighter or in really bad weather I ware the patch and it's a wonder drug, I have been in some terrible weather for many hours and never feel anything but a little drousy with the patch.

Do the wrist bands work?

I haven't had a problem with the bands... but I've never gone on anything over a 3/4 day

jonnou

I never got more than mildly nautious until I Sailed to Fiji from New Zealand. It took seven days and the first 3 were very uncomfortable. The whole crew and captain suffered
some were very experienced Bluewater sailors
It is a natural reaction of the body. But it will adjust. Stay positive and recognise the reasons
It will help.
Ginger of any kind really helps a lot
even a sniff if you cant keep anything down.
Also when it was a sailors turn on the helm You could see the colour return to their Faces
Hang in there
Jon

anglingarchitect

Gotta try Ginger, I like ginger but never tried it.

handi2

I don't get seasick anymore but I always have Bonine on hand. Take one the night before and one in the morning.

If allowed getting in the water, holding a rope, will make it go away or attract more fish..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

jonnou

seaeagle2

If you're on a charter / party boat, stay away from the diesel fumes, that's often enough to push people over the edge......
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Steve-O

Quote from: handi2 on August 02, 2014, 10:07:44 PM
I always have Bonine on hand. Take one the night before and one in the morning.

That does the ticket for me. The one at bedtime makes me loopy..but the one in the morning makes the boat trip a home run.

We had a half day charter for 3 anglers plus the captain in a 24'  Olympic in AK one year. Fished the inside for rockfish then the outside for halibut. My bro in law got green fast, i even felt woozy until the Mt. Dew- sugar and caffeine accelerated the Bonine. Lit me right up and went to jigging for halibut. Fishing was slow until my bro in law started " chumming".  We asked - should we go back to the inside?  Between gags he yells all slurred..   noooo!  Keeeeeeep fiiishiiing! Uuuuuurrrrppp!!

We still retell that one when he gets on a boat.

Maxed Out

I used to get sea sick just looking at a mud puddle.

It took a few years of trying different things before I found the right cure for me and a few of my methods are also used by many fishing friends.

First off, I don't do pills, patches, or anything like that, never have, never will.

Rule #1  I always eat dinner early the night before a fishing trip and stay upright at least an hour before going to bed, this helps move digestion along so I don't wake up in the morning with a queezy 3/4 full stomach.....and no alcohol the night before can help also.

Rule #2  No coffee or food prior to heading out, that only gives your stomach ammunition.........I'll drink a tiny bit of water in the morning only if I have to, but as the day progresses I always stay hydrated....lots of water, or I could be inviting a migraine headache. Staying hydrated thru the day is important, whether you are fishing or at home.

Rule #3  If I start feeling crappy while out on the water I always fall back on a simple breathing regiment that seems to work about 99% of the time....I breathe slow and methodical, but only breathe in thru my nose and out thru my mouth. Breathe in your nose and out thru your mouth..... rinse lather repeat.... and staring at the horizon never seems to help much, all that does is have you in position ready to chum over the side.

I came up with rule #1 & rule #2 so I don't have to resort to rule #3

Rule #3 was from from an oldtimer that lived on the ocean most his life and it really does work.

Funny thing about the "behind the ear patch".....you never know if a person is wearing one until they bend over the rail to chum away, seen it many times on party charter boats....so nothing is a 100% foolproof...Ted

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

wildcard

I hope it's not to soon to jump right in, but here goes!   Being that we get folks from all over, one thing I try to ask is "are you prone to motion sickness"? My go to whizz bang preventative medication is Bonine. I have found that folks complain about the drowsy effects of other over the counter anti-medicines. Absolute key is to start a full day BEFORE you are heading out. Keep your diet bland and no alcohol before your trip, everything in moderation. Eating banana's a couple days before the trip seems to help. A good quality giner-ale ( the kind that makes your nose tingle), Ginger snaps as mentioned help. One other thing that I haven't seen mentioned is Big Red chewing gum, yes Sir it helps! We all have coolers with ice, take a towel soak it in water and throw it in the cooler until it get nice and cold. Take the nice cold towel and wrap it around your neck, it will feel so good. You can even use the same towels and cool down your legs, feet, etc.......  One thing I absolutely frown on aboard my boat is beating up on the guy that's sick. We don't make fun of folks when they have the flu, do we? Stay hydrated with water!  Soda, beer, coffee, etc cannot take the place of water. Good healthy, fairly bland sandwiches. Cold fruit cups, apples, etc ........ not alot of junk food (chips, dorito's, etc...... hurt like crazy if vomited  back up). By being pro-active and honest with our crews, I cannot help but think we have drastically cut back on the amount of ruined days. Frank

AlasKen

My daughter has always got motion sick since she was a baby.  Dramamine works but knocks her out.  She would crawl in the cuddy when we left and crawl out when we returned.  She has tried other including scopalmine (spell). She can take a half dose of Dramamine the night before, a Qtr when she wakes up and another qtr when boarding.  She does not get to sleepy or nauseous. She also eats pickled ginger like for sushi and ginger candy.  Now for the witch doctor stuff.  She tried the bands to no effect.  She now uses a electronic device that looks like a wrist watch.  It emits a slight shock at regular intervals.  She swears by it and no longer takes Dramamine.  You can control the intensity.  I tried on the setting she uses when in rough water and felt like I was being shocked.  I had to turn it way down.  Ken

theswimmer

Scopolamine patch. Like Dom stated ,start the night before, maybe 12-15 hours before you get on the boat.
As a kid I never got sick, 9-10 years old , going out with Grandpa from SF on his old Cheoy Lee. Somewhere as an adult I lost that imunity and now I use the patch with neverfail results. We have gone out ferrying a friends sailboat north from Long beach to Moss landing in the winter. Coming around Point Conception with 12-15 and a 24 sec interval I was the only one who did not hurl. I love the patch!
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn