Questions on 9/0 rebuild

Started by TheReelGuy850, May 14, 2014, 02:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheReelGuy850

Got a customer of mine wanting to build a bomb proof 9/0.He wants to replace the internals with all SS parts. What would he be looking at $$ wise and where can I order them?
The Reel Guy
Fishing reel and rod repair service
Panama City, Florida

Shark Hunter

That's a long list. Just the gears and sleeve will set you back about $120. The deal is its not a one stop shop. you will have to order from several members here.
Black pearl for the helical cut ss gears and pinion.(Improved version should be available shortly)
If you are going with hex gears. these can produce 50lbs of drag with custom Cut Washers.
SS Sleeve from Alantani. He also has handles and grips.
SS Dogs and yoke from Keta. 2 ss dogs for the double dog set up. (Lee) He also makes ss handle arms.
If you go with the Hex gears, I suggest an Aluminum frame or you will twist the stock one.
You are up to about $250 Now, plus the price on the Donor reel.
Life is Good!

Cone

Black Pearl has the gears. Dawn and Scott's B&T also carry his gears they are branded Pro Challenger. Dawn has the ss yokes. I'm not sure if Alan has the Pro Challenger yokes available. The stainless dogs are available from Keta. Alan T. has some of Lee's dogs and stainless gear sleeves. Unfortunately no one makes a ss bridge or eccentric jack. If you want bomb proof get a frame from shark hunter if he has any left.
Bob
Shark hunter replied while I was typing this. Here it is anyway.
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Shark Hunter

Actually there is a ss bridge out there Bob. One is on the way from Adam as we speak. ;)
I think when it is all said and Done, A bomb Proof 9/0 is going to run you about $400. That's is if you can get a reel for $100.
For that kind of dough, I'd tell your customer to get a 12/0 instead. Its all what you want. I have 3 Bomb proof ones myself. ;D
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

These are most of the parts it takes to make a Bomb proof 9/0. Minus the stainless Bridge and Aluminum Frame.
Life is Good!

Ron Jones

I think $400.00 is a favorable price for what you end up with compared to a new reel with the same capacity and ability. If I ever work up a big fish trolling spread it will probably be off the 9/0.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"