Pre-Alaska fishing trip intel.

Started by Steve-O, September 17, 2015, 02:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newport

Now that's interesing. I had no idea that tuna can be caught that far up. That must be rare. I love the fishery up there. Someday, I am going to buy a second home there when I become wealthy.

Alto Mare

Good luck Steve! Take lots of pics, but stay out of the water if you can ::) ;D. We'll be waiting for your report, I have no doubt it will be a good one ;).
Be safe.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

El Pescador

Steve-O,

Based on a Feb. 2015 coastal southern Oregon steelhead trip, when it rained 9" in 1 1/2 day!!!!

Add a "Waterproof Camera" to your list!

You'll thank me.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Steve-O

Thanks, guys for the pre-trip support. I peeked at the forecast.....Rain....all week.   But as they say if you don't like the weather in SE AK....wait 5 minutes, it'll change.

My buds limited today, 4 anglers,  in under 90 minutes. Not too shabby for amateurs.

Looking to beat that by 60 mins and inform them they should've come this week. Not really.

All my point and shoots are Olympus Toughs, good to 33 feet underwater and drop proof on concrete to 5 feet.   Pretty much Me-proof. I don't take a big camera along. Too risky to goof it up.

Wayne, that is exactly how we dress up there with the addition of the Sitka Sombrero. By outdoor research. Big wide brim to roll the water away.

Last year on day one a Coho bit me and nearly wrecked my week with necrotic cellulitis. Not this time. A Lindy Glove and amoxicillin are with me. Otherwise, I keep my head on swivel for those sneaky bears on our side of the river and stay out of fast water over shin deep. Been there got spooked by thigh high fast water nearly sweeping me off my feet.

Went out this evening for a short sunset session and was surprised with the very active bite and unexpected catch.

Amongst the feisty Kitties was a tubby Goldfish! :D

Steve-O

Quote from: newport on September 18, 2015, 04:04:13 AM
Now that's interesing. I had no idea that tuna can be caught that far up. That must be rare. I love the fishery up there. Someday, I am going to buy a second home there when I become wealthy.

Newport- meant to add that it is somewhat rare but the Albies do show during the warmer current El Nino years. Our lodge neighbor Captain Kirk of Sure Strike lodge made the run 35 SW of Noyes Island to score a handful.

El Pescador

Quote from: Steve-O on September 19, 2015, 05:28:32 AM
Wayne, that is exactly how we dress up there with the addition of the Sitka Sombrero. By outdoor research. Big wide brim to roll the water away.

Last year on day one a Coho bit me and nearly wrecked my week with necrotic cellulitis. Not this time. A Lindy Glove and amoxicillin are with me. Otherwise, I keep my head on swivel for those sneaky bears on our side of the river and stay out of fast water over shin deep. Been there got spooked by thigh high fast water nearly sweeping me off my feet.

Steve-O!

THAT is exactly what we need to keep the rain off our faces!  Sitka Sombrero!  Perfect Marketing Name!  Thanks for this tip.

We should start a First Aid thread, in Mexico with Dominick, I held up a Roosterfish and ended up with a BAD skin infection on my left hand.  I'll post photos to show what I mean.

Safe travels to you and rememeber, "Fish Hard, PULL HARDER!"

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Steve-O

This is the Sitka Sombrero. Flaps down, flaps up (how i roll) when the rain breaks....or ball cap with wader jacket hood when it is constant pouring.

David Hall