New Old Stock 114H U.S.A.

Started by Billy V, May 11, 2014, 05:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

Have you fished with the Fish Winch yet? I have one and used it on one trip. Way too slow for me but they are powerful..!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

coastal_dan

Im going to bump this as I am having a similar issue with a 114 HLW, I'll be hunting for some shims, but first I'll check for the gnarled washer over the bearing...To Be Continued...

Edit: I just looked through the schematic of the 114H, 114HL and the 114HLW and they only show the bearing and the o-ring on the left side plate (sold as one piece).  Maybe the washer is a part in the construction of that assembly?  I'll take the reel down tonight...
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

coastal_dan

Found your gnarled washer!  Yep, part of the assembly of the bearing.

Concerning the spool play, I think I've fixed it (thanks to this thread)!  I'll do a post tomorrow with links to the posts I used for reference.  Feeling quite accomplished, haha!😎  And without AT.com I'm not sure what I would have done.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Bill B

It's amazing what we assume.....every 113  and 114 special I have taken apart had that knurled spacer retaining the bearing, but then again I've only done a 1/2 dozen and all were new or never opened.....thanks for the detective work brothers....  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

mizmo67

We've found with the 114H non-handle side bearing, just tightened by hand it doesn't make enough contact properly with the spool
A towel and pliers will let you tighten it enough that most of the play should be gone.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

otghoyt

I have run across older bearing cups that are quite rounded on the top and others that are very flat.  The older, rounded ones are a little deeper and use a knurled spacer/keeper on both sides of the bearing in the cup. There's no telling if this was Penn or an owner fix but I have seen it twice out of roughly 20 that I have been inside of.

As previously stated, there are all sorts of deviant abnormalities in the manufacturing and out sourcing over the years.   I have seen un- shielded bearings in a 114H that had a washer looking piece of oiled felt and then the knurled keeper.  The only other reel I have seen that on is a 1945-ish, black plate Squidder.  Betcha A.T. has seen all this and many, many more oddities.  I wouldn't mind hearing about some of the strangeness others have run across.

H~

Dominick

Quote from: mizmo67 on January 26, 2017, 07:01:45 PM
We've found with the 114H non-handle side bearing, just tightened by hand it doesn't make enough contact properly with the spool
A towel and pliers will let you tighten it enough that most of the play should be gone.
Don't let Sal hear you say this... ;) :D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Different situation Dominick, the spool should have a little sideway movement, but you've proved it to be not necessary ;)  ;D.

I agree with Mo! all the 114h's that have come through my hands, having the O-ring on the bearing cup, needed to be tighten with force.
No need for spacers on those, just get a good grip on the leftside bearing and tighten all the way.
I use wood clamp from work and do a good job.
A towel with pliers, as Mo has suggested will work, just make sure you get a good grip and thry not to make it slip.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.