Bait Questions

Started by Keta, May 12, 2014, 09:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Tim

Quote from: noyb72 on May 13, 2014, 01:52:03 AM
That their is a high tech sabiki. I grew up using yellow and orange thread snelled to a hook! I guess I'll have to do some thinking on this one.
Ron

Thanks Ron, I was looking for those and started wondering what the heck am I doing...I will pick up a couple from my buddy's store. 

MarkT

Quote from: Keta on May 13, 2014, 01:41:18 AM
The ones I have are 1/0 Ahi SB-502

I'm going to need to get some of those.  The ones with a 30# main and 20# traces still get the hooks ripped off at Cedros.  Those look beefier.

I've got hooks from #4 for pinheads up to 8/0 for Macs.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Keta on May 12, 2014, 11:15:39 PM
4 hook Sabikis like the ones I've used on 10 and 15 day trips?

Yes

SoCalAngler

Quote from: noyb72 on May 13, 2014, 01:52:03 AM
That their is a high tech sabiki. I grew up using yellow and orange thread snelled to a hook! I guess I'll have to do some thinking on this one.
Ron

The old Lucky Joe's

When you get the 2AM call of "mackerel bighting" they will eat almost anything, though the 1/0 hooks may be a bit big.

Ron Jones

I've done San Diego mackerel a lot. Like literally a ton of fish, and I've never used anything bigger than a 2 and that was only because I was out of 4s. 4 mackerel at once that need 1/0 hooks? You better have a TANK pulling that sabiki up.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

I make bait with my 40lb rig.

Ahi SB-501's come with a #2 hook but I've never had problems with the SB-502's.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

If you got them bring a squid jig. If the Humbolts are around its nice to make a few for bait as well.

Keta

Quote from: SoCalAngler on May 13, 2014, 04:17:10 PM
If you got them bring a squid jig. If the Humbolts are around its nice to make a few for bait as well.

I have a few of them packed, squishes are fun to catch.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

That will be cool. Squid fishing is a blast. How does that work with our fish count?
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

LTM

Quiet as its kept, Lee is "super tech". Pay close attention to his gear on the trip, he NEVER ceases to amaze me.

Leo

alantani

Quote from: noyb72 on May 13, 2014, 06:09:23 PM
That will be cool. Squid fishing is a blast. How does that work with our fish count?
Ron

we should be ok!  ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

AJ

Use this link to check bait reports.
http://www.baitbarge.com/bait-report.html
The long rangers may have Sardines and Macks but bait has been an issue, having the barge deep in the bay has not helped.  Hopefully by the time of your trip it will be back to it's usual position, but that is up to the Navy.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Big Tim on May 13, 2014, 12:46:32 AM
Quote from: alantani on May 13, 2014, 12:40:11 AM
we've always had 6-8 inch sardines.  i'd bring 1/0 and 3/0 j-hooks and 2/0 and 4/0 circle hooks.  for a picky bite, i've gone down as far as a number 1 in size. 

is this good enough on hooks?

You need some cheapos in there too. Standard 2/0 live bait hooks that are like 25 cents each. Mustad 9174.

If you get into catch and release mode they will just break you off at the boatside. No need to say buh-bye $2 hook.

The boat has some and they are sold at regular prices. Just hit them up on a travel day and don't wait till your in a hot bite but are breaking off all Yellowtail etc.

alantani

i was at the shop yesterday and just bought two boxes of 2/0 eagle claw laser sharps for 15 cents each.  if we get into dorodo, we will go through alot of hooks. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!