Penn 112 lack of drag.

Started by AEM, May 24, 2014, 02:54:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AEM

I reloaded the spectra and it already had a tape backing. its on tight but I am not generating enough drag to fully test it. Using the second wave washer under the star a Alto Mare suggested did get me to 6lbs of total drag. I don't have a Belleville that will fit. I will call Dawn at Smooth Drag tomorrow and order a another drag set and try the 5 drag stack. Thanks for insight.

DaBigOno

Very nice reel you pick up AEM.

Since you seemed to have eliminated spectra slipping, and your drag stack order looks good, and you'll be trying a bevilled washer, check the spool shaft to make sure it nice and tight.

Also when you re-assemble the reel, use enough of Cal's drag grease to help keep the drag stack together.  Like others have pointed out, sometimes the "eared" metal washer gets stuck out of position when going back together.

Please keep us posted
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Big Tim

I used Bryan's drag stack on my 112H and have right at 18# of drag. Possibly a bit more than I will ever need on this reel but as a newbie, I highly recommend Bryan's drag upgrade.

Tim

AEM

Able to get up to 14 lb of drag. I replaced the drags with a stock ht100 kit and replaced the spring washer with a thicker one out of an old Kencor reel I had laying around. The drag instantly increased. This should last awhile but if I need more drag I will look into a 5 stack drag. Thanks to all for the input. 

broadway

Glad to see you solved the problem ...now go test it on some big boys!
Have fun,
Dom

Keta

A 5+1 stack is smoother under the same load.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Quote from: AEM on May 30, 2014, 04:03:41 AM
Able to get up to 14 lb of drag. I replaced the drags with a stock ht100 kit and replaced the spring washer with a thicker one out of an old Kencor reel I had laying around. The drag instantly increased. This should last awhile but if I need more drag I will look into a 5 stack drag. Thanks to all for the input. 
Just out of curiosity, how good is the star travel, how many times are you able to turn it using that thick washer? All of my reels start very soft... just the way I like them.
14lb is good, big improvement from 6lb.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

AEM

The drag starts soft but it takes less than two full turns of the star before it is tight, I received extra drag washers and metals from smooth drag which I might play with in a 5+1 stack. I'm thinking they might be too thick but I have time to play with it before my 4 day tuna trip.

Alto Mare

The only way you will be able to get 5+1 is by using Bryan's kit. If you want more travel with the star try a shorter spacer, Scott has them in 4-5 sizes
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/9-60.aspx
I just sand them down until I they feel good to me. A tension spring under the star will keep everything tight, if you decide to sand the spacer.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

AEM

Alto Mare. I have to agree that Brian's washers is the way to go. I got the thin drags from smooth drag and there is no way I can get two keyed washers in the main gear. I will measure the sleeve and see if there is a shorter one available. By chance do you know the dimensions of the main gear for a 112. Some of the pictures I have seen posted look thicker than mine. the one in my reel is the same thickness as the main gear of a jigmaster . Thanks for the input.
Alan

SacFly

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 31, 2014, 02:15:10 AM
I just sand them down until I they feel good to me. A tension spring under the star will keep everything tight, if you decide to sand the spacer.

I've been reading this site for awhile and have never seen this tip mentioned (sanding down the sleeve).  So simple, but it never occurred to me.  I have a couple of reels where this is exactly what they need.

DaBigOno

Quote from: SacFly on May 31, 2014, 07:46:24 AM

I've been reading this site for awhile and have never seen this tip mentioned (sanding down the sleeve).  So simple, but it never occurred to me.  I have a couple of reels where this is exactly what they need.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=10011.0
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Alto Mare

Quote from: Dabigono on May 31, 2014, 09:56:30 AM
Quote from: SacFly on May 31, 2014, 07:46:24 AM
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=10011.0
It was also mentioned here ;D
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=30.msg27324#msg27324