New Stradic 8000FJ---Pre-Fishing maintanance

Started by gatrapper, May 27, 2014, 09:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatrapper

Hey Y'all,

New to the forum. Just picked up a new Shimano Stradic 8000 FJ.

Is there anything that I should do to the reel before going out and fishing? I read that some manufacturers aren't greasing certain things on their reels from the factory so I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing anything.

Thanks,
CJ

Tightlines667

I would replace the oiled felt drag washers with a carbon fiber set ordered from Dawn at smoothdrag.  I'd recommend ordering a small amount of Cal's drag grease (or shimano) to grease the CF washers with before installing as well.  There are upgrade kits available for increasing the number of ball bearings in this reel if you want.  Basically you would replace some bushings with bearings from the sustain.  The handle arm, and knob can be upgraded as well.  You can search these upgrades online, and order as a kit, or piecemeal from Shimano (limited parts availability here though?). The gears are greased from the factory but if your going to perform a full purefishing service, you may want to use some quality lighter weight grease to grease all exposed metal parts internally as well (ESP. If slated for saltwater use).  The gear ratio can also be modified if desired (though this is not cheap).  The turorials here should get you going.   Search it online if interested.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

johndtuttle

Look in the spinning tutorial section. There is a post specifically for the Stradic.

Three se7ens

The one I bought last year already had carbon fiber drags. I did upgrade a few bearings though, most notable the handle and the rear end of the worm shaft.

raumati01

Quote from: Three se7ens on May 28, 2014, 03:17:26 AM
The one I bought last year already had carbon fiber drags. I did upgrade a few bearings though, most notable the handle and the rear end of the worm shaft.

8000 definitely all come with carbon fibre,as far as upgrades go there are a lot. MFB sent me this link  http://www.sportfishermen.com/board/f258/upgrading-2012-shimano-stradic-8000fj-yes-i-did-heres-how-1810278.html