Sea Bass have arrived

Started by mrbrklyn, May 25, 2014, 06:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrklyn

I've seen these for $27 a pound around Manhattan...

Ruben

Dominick

That's because they are one of the best tasting fishes around.  BTW are you coming out to SF?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Capt Ahab

Nice stuff - jigs or clams?

conchydong

Nice, I was fortunate enough to get some keepers as far south as Pompano Beach the past couple of winters. As Dominick said, they are excellent on the table.  I like them steamed whole Chinese style.

Three se7ens

They are so thick here you can't hit bottom before you either have a fish on, or you're out of bait. 

Three se7ens

Quote from: mrbrklyn on May 26, 2014, 10:22:11 PM
Where because they are restricted here in NY to a ridicules degree.

There are dozens and dozens of artificial reefs between 3 and 30 miles offshore all down the georgia coast.  I typically fish the "J Reef" and my favorite spot is a sunken liberty ship in 60 feet of water.

They are pretty regulated here, 13" minimum, 5 per person.  The season opens June 1' and closes once the annual catch limit is reached.  It wasn't reached last year, so it's still open.

Dominick

Yes sir Steamed with green onion and ginger.  Then a sauce of soya green onion, ginger and cilantro.  Yum.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Aiala

Quote from: mrbrklyn on May 27, 2014, 08:32:50 PM

Uh... if we're a "police state", what does that make places like Yemen, Uganda, North Korea etc?   ???

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Big Tim

Quote from: mrbrklyn on May 27, 2014, 08:32:50 PM
Quote from: Three se7ens on May 26, 2014, 11:04:12 PM
Quote from: mrbrklyn on May 26, 2014, 10:22:11 PM
Where because they are restricted here in NY to a ridicules degree.

There are dozens and dozens of artificial reefs between 3 and 30 miles offshore all down the georgia coast.  I typically fish the "J Reef" and my favorite spot is a sunken liberty ship in 60 feet of water.

They are pretty regulated here, 13" minimum, 5 per person.  The season opens June 1' and closes once the annual catch limit is reached.  It wasn't reached last year, so it's still open.

From what I understand, they are saying that the sea bass is in danger in the south, but they said the stocks in NY are rebuilt.  And yet, it is a very short season with a very limited catch allowed.   I don't know.  Yesterday the NYS DEC boarded the boat commando style while the boat was under full steam, like they were after a drug bust.

I'm sick of being in a police state.

Don't move to California then. The State of over regulated, over governed & the land of smog, congestion and U turns...By the way nice fish  ;D Haven't seen one of those since the 1980's when I was stationed in Groton Conn.

broadway

Ruben,
   I was off Coney yesterday fishing the tug boat channel at about 2PM and saw DEC (the greenies) boarding boats.  They passed me by, I think, because I had kids onboard.
I was, however, interrogated by the Coasties earlier (11AM) because they said I was fishing within 100 yds. from the Staten Isle stanchion of the Verrazano. I was off by at least 150 yds., but I'm glad to see them checking up on people close to our beloved landmarks.
Fishing was tough everywhere except off Coney.  I couldn't hold in the Norton's Point rip with an 8 oz. in 24' of water. Moved to Coney so the kids could fish without ripping their arms off with that current/ wind.
12 short fluke, but all smiles.
I have a catamaran named Broadway if you ever see me out there stop by and say hi ...and tell me all your secret spots ;D
Be safe and tight lines,
Dom

bluefish69

Dom

The way it looks I won't be fishing in your little corner of the world. If I don't work I don't fish there. I will be either out of Jones Inlet Or Moriches Inlet. Happy your all better now.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

broadway

Mike,
    Hope you have a good season out east.  The run lasts longer out there anyway ;)
Ruben,
    Good to hear the fluke bite was on at nighttime.  The only ones I've seen caught t night are big fish.
I'd take fluke over blues any day ...yummy table fare.

The policing around here has been pretty tough, but god knows there's a ton of poaching going on out there.  I see it daily at my dock;(
Stay safe out there and have fun boyz!
Dom

SacFly

Caught a couple of seabass while porgy fishing last Friday in Long Island Sound.  Obviously they went back.  There are some big porgies out there right now, that's for sure!