Saving Big Red 631

Started by Newell Nut, June 11, 2014, 09:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

This project started as buying a reel for parts and to use for a pattern for an aluminum frame someday for 631s. The reel had a very fine crack in the left side plate. I believe the crack occurred when someone struggled to get the reel apart because it had rusted bearings which would not have happened it the reel had been cleaned properly. The right side plate came off easily but the left one took a little work. I used my dremel to remove the bearings from the cups as I illustrated earlier.

The hairline crack is in the encircled area so I decided to cut two pieces of SS shim stock that Sal furnished and epoxy both pieces over the crack to seal it and make the wall thicker.

I installed Abec 7 bearings and a 7+1 stack drag sytem and then reassembled
The reel was missing the clicker button and Tunacious was kind enough to furnish one of those. The only original item missing is the rod clamp and I may install a P533 aluminum base on it if I decide to use it one day. It works very smooth and free spool is nice and of course the drag is very strong.

Shark Hunter

Good Job Dwight! That should hold her together! ;D
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Ok Dwight, now I see what you were talking about during our conversation. I believe that plate will stay intact for quite some time, good job buddy ;). How about those shims? So thin and yet so tough.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bluefish69

Give me the C-C measurements of the clamp. You never know & me either what I have.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

doradoben

Interesting repair. Very creative Newell Nut. In the assembled photos, are the harness lugs cut off or do they fit when installed upside down? I think it gives the reel a smoother look.

Newell Nut

For the harness lugs I just removed them and installed SS blanks from Tiburon. I have just taken harness lugs out and put them in my vise and cut them down with my side grinder and reinstalled. Few people use harness lugs and I certainly don't so I like to clean up the top of the reel.

Sal,
I roughed up the surface of the side plate and added a layer of rod building epoxy and then SS shim and more epoxy and a second SS shim and epoxy. Stronger than original I think. Thanks for the shims.

floating doc

Good work! I think it should hold up well.
Central Florida

Bryan Young

Nice...just thinking...that was almost my reel...lol
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Quote from: Newell Nut on June 12, 2014, 01:02:47 AM
For the harness lugs I just removed them and installed SS blanks from Tiburon.

I could have some blanks cut for the same price as the dogs if there is a need.  I am also going to have some SS lugs cut for my 349's to replace bent Penn ones.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Newell Nut

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 12, 2014, 05:44:52 AM
Nice...just thinking...that was almost my reel...lol

Almost, funny we both bid the same and I just beat you on the clock. Not sure what I am going to do with it except take up space in the closet. It was amazingly clean inside and absolutely no fish juice under the SS rings either and no rust.

Newell Nut

Quote from: Keta on June 12, 2014, 12:57:47 PM
Quote from: Newell Nut on June 12, 2014, 01:02:47 AM
For the harness lugs I just removed them and installed SS blanks from Tiburon.

I could have some blanks cut for the same price as the dogs if there is a need.  I am also going to have some SS lugs cut for my 349's to replace bent Penn ones.

Surely some people would buy them that don't have tools. It is just as easy for me to put the originals in a vise and hit them with the grinder.