inox

Started by wallacewt, July 25, 2010, 06:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slazmo

Quote from: wallacewt on January 31, 2015, 09:53:37 PM
why not use mx6 on everything inside and mx3 on the outside of the reel

Hi Wallace,

MX6 is a nice thin grease - however I believe that your fishing and my fishing back here in Australia is quiet different. You all here seem to be exposed to a lot more products than what were exposed to and the variety is just confusing to be honest.

MX6 comes in two grades of NLGI from what I know in my time there - its great to use in both guises however for larger OH reels I would be using the MX8 complex grease which is a lot more (quantifiable) tacky and this would be on stainless to stainless or stainless to brass or brass to brass gears.
I think that the MX6 even if used in the tub which has a higher NLGI than the MX6 in the tube wouldnt last that long on gears, due to the fact that it doesnt have as high a tackiness as other greases. For out smaller spinning gear I am a fan of MX6 as it gives a nice light rotation and it works well in bearings also!

Having shields on a bearing most of the grease will migrate to the outside upper reigion of the bearing or onto the inside of the shields, hence my application of a little MX5 Oil within the mix to further smooth down the grease - I find that it stays near the balls for a lot longer.

Its really finding a proper need for application and noticing the service interval that the grease / oils need to be replaced at. Nothing is going to last a full year unless the gear is not used - and by the looks of things on this forum it seems that a lot of people here put their gear to good use!

Thanks,

Slazmo

wallacewt

Ruffy

Hi Slazmo,
I had been buying MX6 in the 30g tubes when I decided to get a price on a 250g tub as I thought it may work out a bit cheaper. It did, at half the price. When it arrived though (I had to order it up to Darwin), the 250g tub has a totally different sticker and advertises itself as a rubber grease. Are they different forms of MX6? Have I just bought the wrong stuff? I was of the opinion that MX6 is just MX6.

Cheers,
Andrew

Oh, and I bought some MX8 for gears and packing bearings. Good stuff!

Slazmo

Hey Ruffy,

Same stuff! However the NLGI rating on the tubes is lighter than that in the tubs. I decant the tubes into a makeup jar (this before the smaller tub's) and use that dabbed onto my fingers for massaging into drag washers etc.

The Heavier grease from the tub would be just as good, however I wasnt at the Factory when it was there.

I do like the lighter NLGI stuff as its a lot creamier however the difference wouldn't be greatly noticeable at all - especially when you thin it down into a carbon washer or put into a bearing etc. I do have a larger 1kg tub of the MX6 but haven't gotten to using that just yet.

As its a fully synthetic grease its rubber safe and able to be used on tap washers, torch rubber seals and the like. Very good for the friction ring around the body of most spinning reels now days (under the rotor, so the roter doesn't spin freely when bail is up), as applying the wrong grease under that ring could make it swell and render it useless. MX6 is very safe with rubbers and plastics as I have used it on every torch I own and some of these are pretty pricey.

Andrew