Slammer 560L problems

Started by pavlov, June 26, 2014, 04:07:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pavlov

I know people here love their conventional reels, but here it goes.  I just returned from a trip to Scotland from Hong Kong using my Slammer 560L.  I don't normally have a need for anything bigger than a 4000 size reel so this reel rarely gets used.  On the first retrieve using 10 oz weight I felt what could be described as the gears slipping and I could hear it making a ratchet type sound.  It would go and catch on and go and catch.  It was not a comforting sound as the place I was fishing is know to have some 50-100lb skates and double digit cod and pollock and sharks.  Needless to say I didn't use this reel and resorted to a smaller reel which inevitably I got busted off on a "big bite", not what you want to happen after travelling thousands of miles.  Does anyone one know what the problem is?  Can it be fixed or do I need a new reel (conventional)?

Thanks,
Paul

johndtuttle

Quote from: pavlov on June 26, 2014, 04:07:42 AM
I know people here love their conventional reels, but here it goes.  I just returned from a trip to Scotland from Hong Kong using my Slammer 560L.  I don't normally have a need for anything bigger than a 4000 size reel so this reel rarely gets used.  On the first retrieve using 10 oz weight I felt what could be described as the gears slipping and I could hear it making a ratchet type sound.  It would go and catch on and go and catch.  It was not a comforting sound as the place I was fishing is know to have some 50-100lb skates and double digit cod and pollock and sharks.  Needless to say I didn't use this reel and resorted to a smaller reel which inevitably I got busted off on a "big bite", not what you want to happen after travelling thousands of miles.  Does anyone one know what the problem is?  Can it be fixed or do I need a new reel (conventional)?

Thanks,
Paul

Your anti-reverse is slipping. The slammer uses a barrel type clutch that probably is just old and the springs have fatigued. You can try cleaning it out and refurbishing it as a first step. But if that fails it will need to be replaced ($10 part).

pavlov

Thanks, since this reel's hardly been used would oil or grease cause the anti-reverse to slip? 

Shark Hunter

It sounds like you brought a knive to a gun fight. The slammer is a 15lb mono reel. To actually catch the fish or skates you are after, you are going to need a bigger reel, or at least a reel better suited for this type of fishing. If you are looking for a conventional to catch a big skate or fish in the double digits, I would suggest a Penn 114H or a 9/0 Senator.
There are lots of other options, but for the money, The 114H and 9/0 are tough reels for about the same price as a 560L.
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

Quote from: pavlov on June 26, 2014, 04:48:53 AM
Thanks, since this reel's hardly been used would oil or grease cause the anti-reverse to slip? 
A 10 ounce weight on a 560 Slammer is putting that reel past its potential.
Life is Good!

johndtuttle

Quote from: pavlov on June 26, 2014, 04:48:53 AM

If grease was in there and it was very cold or it was very old grease both would gum it up. Or maybe simply the springs got tired etc etc. If you clean it out, try a very light oil. That should do the trick unless the bearing simply has to be replaced.

pavlov

FatTuna

Did you make sure that the side plate is on tight enough? If it is loose the gears will be misaligned and it will slip and grind.

Also, if you are fishing the bottom with heavy sinkers for cod and bottom fish that reel is going to take a beating. A conventional is a better choice for that style of fishing. A 113H would be ideal. I like the daiwa saltist myself.

Ron Jones

With 10 oz. I'm guessing your fishing in several hundred feet of water or with a ripping current? If so, I agree with a 4/0 sized reel. The Grouper Special would be perfect for this if you don't mind the slow retrieve, the low gears will help if you tie into a bigger fish. A narrow 4/0 loaded w/ 60# braid and a 10-15 yard top shot should be fine. You can put that reel together for less than $100.00 with line if you are careful, that isn't a lot of money for this kind of fishing.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

johndtuttle

ps. Yes, it should go without saying that reeling up 10oz day in and day out is also abusing the AR bearing, this is what likely has led to it's failure.

pavlov

Thanks for all the input.  I don't do much deep bottom fishing over 100 ft, hence the use of 560L with 10 oz weight.  I think i got a dud reel.  When it was new, it would make the horrible anti-reverse ratchet sound when  pressure was applied to the line, since I don't use this reel much I ignored it.  I'll try replacing the ARB since cleaning didn't remedy the problem.  Is there a reliable online shop to get Penn parts?  I have to ship it to a friend in USA to bring over for me.  Maybe it's time to consider a conventional.  Thanks.

Shark Hunter

I buy all my penn parts from Mystic Reel Parts in New Jersey if I can't find them on ebay.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Life is Good!

pavlov

I looked for the ARB and it's a $26 part on Scott's!!!  That's crazy considering I only paid $90 for the reel.  Is there other places I can try?

Shark Hunter

I searched High and Low. I can't find one other than Scotts. :-\
Life is Good!

handi2

I looked at the different AR bearings I have on hand. Penn's AR bearing for this reel is different than the common Shimano AR bearing found on most reels. I do have the 98C AR bearing for this reel and could mail it to you for $22.00. That's not much of a discount. At Scott's there is a limit of 5 when purchasing b/c Penn doesn't have them.

I can measure the dimensions and talk to Dawn or Jeff at Boca for you.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL