Respooling with hollow braid or Dacron questions

Started by FishnNauru, September 15, 2014, 02:41:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishnNauru

Hey gang,
I have a tld30 2 speed and a everol 4/0 that I have 80lb Chinese braid on, that is a few years old, now breaking about 20+lb :( So I want to respool them with 50/60lb hollow braid or Dacron so that I can splice in a mono topshot of 80/100lb about 1mm in dia.
So what do you think?
Neither reel puts out more than 30lb drag max, so I don't think there is a need to got to 80lb hollow braid or Dacron.
Any idea how much each reel will hold and will 50/60lb Dacron be able to accept an 80/100lb mono splice?
I don't want to go cheap line again, but I'm not sure I'm up for the cost of the JB hollow...depend how much line I need I guess. I'd probably get 2500yds so I can respool other reels I have when needed.
Any recommendations you could give would be great. Thanks, Adam in Nauru
I have the gift of taking a small job and making it into a big job!

jonnou

I am only just starting with hollow lines and they are cool.
Just been playing around with splices and loops.
only real advice I would have is that the thinner dia can be a lot more expensive.
if you can fit 80or 100 you will save in the long run.
rather than have heaps of expensive braid that never sees the water.
You can also use your Chinese solid then splice to hollow then to mono.

Keta

40# hollow is considerably more $ than 60# and up, including 500#.  I prefer 60# for most of my lighter reels.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Irish Jigger

Ask Keta for the price of  JB hollow, may be cheaper than you think.

Keta

He has for a few months and I keep dropping the ball.  BTW, getting old sucks! 

40# hollow is almost 2 x the price of 60# and $5.00 more than 500# in the 300 yard spool.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

jonnou

Just finished my first wind on leader 50lb twin wall dacron loop to 50lb mono with a 10lb spectra serve  these hollow lines are awesome

Bryan Young

I would say it depends on how much money you have an what type of fishing you will be doing.  If you are intended to use the reel for trolling surface lures, I would consider Dacron because Dacron floats and is cheaper.  But Dacron has it's drawbacks, such as it does require replacing in a few years because mold can build within Dacron fibers.

In the long run, I would go with hollow Spectra or Dyneema braided line.  I have had Daiwa boat braid PE6 on one of my reels for almost 20 years now and it still test strong and no mold of any kind.

Also, hollow braid can be replaced in sections by splicing if the top starts to chafe for any reason.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

FishnNauru

Hey gang, thanks for the replies.
Most of our fishing is trolling, sorry forgot to mention that ;)
Has anyone had any issues with Dacron going moldy? I've seen quite a few manufacturers are putting an anti mould treatment, but having never used it not sure how long it lasts.
I have the prices from Keta and 60 is cheaper than 80/100lb but then the 130 lb is cheaper than the 60...

I've heard the 80/100 is easier to splice 80/100lb mono into than the 60lb, so that might be a factor too...
I have the gift of taking a small job and making it into a big job!

jonnou

I just got my 130lb from Keta havent tried to splice yet but looks Good
Personaly
and I am no expert
This would make a exellent backing (better then Dacron)
for your trolling gear and you have the luxury of splicing the top shot of desired length for your average fish to top
and can also back with solid spectra for the extreme fish
for example

200m 80lb mono 300m 130lb hollow  500m 80lb solid spectra

Cheers Jon

Keta

I splice a short section of Dacron, 10'-15' (3m-4.5m) on the end and use it to attach the line to the spool, far less slipping.  I still tape the spool though.

Mark Twain