My DIY linewinder.

Started by Mentonemoose, June 29, 2014, 09:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Mentonemoose

Yea, that's the one Lee. If you get one of their 20% off coupons in the Sunday paper it drops to $12.

Tightlines667

I got mine at Home Depot.  It is orange colored and analog (in ft).  One thing to pay attention to, is to make sure it has some tension maintaining contact with the spool or it can lose some accuracy (up to ~5%). Mine works fine with a bungie holding it tight to the spool.  It'd be nice if it read in yds, but I can't complain for the cost.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Mentonemoose

I've been thinking of using a coil spring and a castlenated nut to spring load it.

Dominick

Quote from: Tightlines666 on July 07, 2014, 07:14:30 AM
I got mine at Home Depot.  It is orange colored and analog (in ft).  One thing to pay attention to, is to make sure it has some tension maintaining contact with the spool or it can lose some accuracy (up to ~5%). Mine works fine with a bungie holding it tight to the spool.  It'd be nice if it read in yds, but I can't complain for the cost.

Divide by 3.   :D ;D :D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

Hi mentonemoose --

Great job -- very clever!

Looks like you have it all covered -- but if you need a digital line counter in yards, I have a couple of extras -- and would send you one at no charge.

I have 4 line winders for different reel applications from small spinning to large offshore -- and these are extras that are still working.  I had thought that the battery would go dead -- but they are still working fine after 10+ years.  It came from one of the larger Triangle machines labeled by Berkley.

These mount on a 1" X 1/4" vertical flat bar, and are gravity fed on top of the supply line spool.  You might be able to use it, or it may not be part of your plan.  No worries either way!

If interested, just let me know your mailing address with a PM.

Best regards,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

That's very nice and much cheaper than my Triangle HD-140

Hats off to your hard work.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Mentonemoose

Thank you much for the offer Foakes, but this counter suites my needs just fine. I just run it on the "feet" setting and as Dom said decide by three. On this settin it's very accurate due to measuring feet and inches.

Mentonemoose

Oh wow, stupid spell check. DIVIDE!!

gstours

thanks for sharing your work with us, if I could ask a question, what is the red reel for??? tensioning the line I assume????? and do you give it a few wraps of line or how do you feed it thru to the reel being spooled????  I like your ideas, and work.......good job!!!!

Mentonemoose

I showed the reel placed there to demonstrate that with the longer bar you could do that. However the reel in question is a penn 501s which I use a a small live bait reel for small tuna and yellowtail. I have since purchased a penn 114H exclusively for that purpose. And will be using it as part of my annual maintenance ritual to strip off my spectra backing, wash the spectra, re wax my spools, clean and regrease or oil all internal applicable parts. Then repack the spectra back on under the appropriate tension. The 501 is no where near large enough for that task with my larger AVET 30 and Hx, but the Penn 114 is perfectly suited for that task as far as drag and line capacity.