Abu 3600 Black Max help

Started by Bigmike1984, April 15, 2014, 01:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigmike1984

Got one the other day was going to work on it.

Got it all apart clean oiled and what not. Put it back together and it does not cast  by cast I mean the line does not come out smooth.

My ?'s are.......

1. Is there a tutorial on 3600s?

2. On the black max. Is the level wind go back-and-forth when it cast? If it is not working what part is it that makes it stop working?

3. What size bearings are in the spool?

As always thanks for any help and info guys!

johndtuttle

Hey there,I'm no expert on small freshwater baitcast reels but will try and help.  ;)

1. The basic concepts of any level wind reel are the same and the tutorial on a 6500 will point you in the general direction.

2. I don't think that the level wind goes back and forth when casting on the Black Max (relatively inexpensive reel). I have also found that when the line on the spool and the level wind guide are out of "sync" ie the guide is far from where the line comes off the spool then casting is nearly impossible.

What you have to do is strip out enough line to get them closer in sync then the new wraps that come on when you crank it back on will be over the guide and smooth casting returns.

The spool has to have an "idle gear" to drive the guide otherwise.

3. Sorry no help on the bearings ;).

best

bassgod

I will chime in as an owner of a few pro max 3600, essentially the same reel.

2. the level wind does disengage for the cast so it does not follow the line during the cast, however it does engage when line is being stripped and the reel is in gear.  to me this seems fine for bass fishing since you're not likely to have a fish taking out more than the distance you've cast, but once it gets past the distance you have cast the line and levelwind will likely be out of sync. someone correct me if i am wrong on this.

bearing size I am assuming you mean for the spool bearings is 3x10x4, which are the same size as the standard shimano spool bearings.

both the promax and the black max are actually pretty good casting reels even by today's standards.  I can fling baits down to 1/8 ounce baits a reasonable distance, anything 1/4 and up is easy.

I would check the bearings first, then the brake blocks.  I think people use the lightest which are the blue blocks or use one black block.  the CF braking kit from mikes reel repair has worked well for me as well.  one this to make sure of when re- assembling the reel. is to make sure the blocks are all the way down and that the shaft that the blocks sit on are straight.  sometimes the blocks sit on the edge and when you put the spool and handle side plate back on you force the edge of the race onto the block and bend the brake block holder and the block gets all mussed up.

Unutt

I can help.

The spool bearings are size 3x10x4.  If you have a black max, you can upgrade your reel by adding 3x7x3 bearings in place of the worm bushings.  If you are brave, you can replace the bushing in the brake plate with an 8x12x3.5 bearing.  Again, this is for the very brave.  If you have a 93 or early 94 model (first four digits on the foot will be 0200) you can change the drive bearing using HF1008.  If you have a later 94 model (0201), it will already have hf1008.  Changing the drive bearing makes earlier reels turn even smoother, if that is possible.  Pro and black max's were only made in 1993 and 1994, though there are a number of later models that are basically the same reel (BM1600, SxxxxC, TxxxC, etc.).

The line guide does not go back and forth when the line goes out.  When the thumb bar is pushed, the pinion gear is disengaged from the spool, completely isolating the spool from the drive train.  At this point, the spool is free floating.  Even the spindle is semi fixed.

On request, I sent someone a teardown/reassembly guide that has been posted on the internet for a few years now.  I confirmed it is still posted.  I would add the URL but I do not know the rules for this forum.

There are a number of possibilities that would keep the line from going out smoothly.  I would ask if it worked correctly before it was disassembled.  I will walk you through a reassembly if it comes to that.

I have more than 130 pro and black max's.  I kept thinking I would find a newer reel to upgrade, but I never found one I liked better, so I decided to buy enough to last forever. 
So many reels, so little time.