Paging ALAN TANI - Calcutta 700 & 700S Tutorial ???

Started by ez2cdave, July 04, 2014, 12:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ez2cdave

Hey, Alan,

Any chance at seeing a tutorial on the "original" Calcutta 700 & 700S, including the Carbontex drag washer upgrade ?

I have a nice 700S that I would be willing to send you for the project ( hint, hint ) . . .

ez2cdave

johndtuttle

There is nothing inside a Calcutta that needs a specific tutorial. Take a look at any star drag reel (that are all Penns on the inside) and get busy young man. :)

You obviously have a camera and know how to post photos.... What's stopping you from doing a tutorial yourself?  :D

ps LOL...

alantani

yeah, that one's been on the back burner for the last 5 years.  it was important when we had to hobble together a bunch of penn drags, but now that smoothdrag has a set of carbontex drag washers for this reel, it became less of an issue.  it is very similar to the calcutta 400.  just get the carbontex drags and you should be fine.  someday i'm going to catch up with life! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

ez2cdave

Quote from: johndtuttle on July 07, 2014, 03:54:49 PMWhat's stopping you from doing a tutorial yourself?

I'm missing the "main ingredient", namely, knowledge of the internals of the reel. Since a "tutorial" implies "teaching" a process or procedure, I'm definitely not "qualified" to attempt it . . . LOL !

johndtuttle

Quote from: ez2cdave on July 08, 2014, 02:54:21 AM
Quote from: johndtuttle on July 07, 2014, 03:54:49 PMWhat's stopping you from doing a tutorial yourself?

I'm missing the "main ingredient", namely, knowledge of the internals of the reel. Since a "tutorial" implies "teaching" a process or procedure, I'm definitely not "qualified" to attempt it . . . LOL !

Grab a schematic for your reel. Take a look at other tutorials of other star drag reels (they have very small differences, all of the essential concepts are identical) and compare your schematic. The idea is that you can easily begin to grasp the part in your reel (that may appear different) that has the same function as others because they all accomplish the same thing.

Go for it and you are on your way :D.

Get your tools and grease and have at it. :)

Fishnmike

I've done all 3 of my 700s. Use the tutorial for the 400 and you will be fine.