Penn 259?

Started by SoCalAngler, July 04, 2014, 03:49:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

Not being a "Penn Guy" I was wondering if this model is collectable. Sure all reels can be collectable but is one that looks almost new, no corrossion, wood handle knob and looks to be a non metal spool worth any money and if so what? I have not seen the reel yet but it has a pic of a lighthouse which assume is a Longbeach and am being told it is from the 1930's time. I would not fish this reel but maybe I hold on to it or flip it. They have been trying to sell it for a bit and have no biters, so I guess I'm asking what do you think a reel like this is worth? If it matters it has black side plates and spool.

Shark Hunter

This reel was called the Long Beach Deluxe. Its the same width as a Jigmaster 500. It has a 2:5 to 1 ratio. A collector might want it, but honestly, probably about 40 bucks tops if its in great shape. I have seen them go for half that with an aluminum spool.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Mark, as Shark Hunter mentioned there are always a few for sale for around $40, but most are from the mid 50's. The one you've described is from around 1940, those are rare.
I personally wouldn't mind paying around $70 for one of those in great shape, more if it had the box.
Scott has a pic of the 259, that one appears to be from the early 40's.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Penn259.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

SoCalAngler

Thanks for the quick response guys their asking $80 and maybe they would take less but it has been for sale for a bit with no biters so I was a bit leery. Like I said I would not look to fish the reel and hech I don't need another reel sitting around doing nothing, so it's going to be a pass.

Again thanks for your input.

EDIT: Sorry I was off on the year they stated. If you guys want to take a look here is the add and it's close to me. If you want it and they wont ship, I'm sure I could get it to you.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/4545318675.html

Alto Mare

That's very nice of you Mark, thanks for the offer. He also has it listed on eBay with free shipping, when you said you weren't interested, I gave him an offer...we'll see.

BTW, I also do not need another reel, but this one is nice and should be on a shelf. If anyone is interested, please do not think that you need to hold back because of me, go for it!
you have a link above , here is the eBay link...just in case
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Penn-Fishing-Reel-Model-259-Mid-late-1940s-/291181485690?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43cbc4de7a

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

john2244

I paid $60. for an early model 259 in new condition, no box.

John

Alto Mare

Was it the early model with the plastic spool and no #'s?
Thanks John!

Bryan Young

For $40, I'd buy it and covert it to a narrow reel (1/0 size reel).  It would make an awesome rock cod reel.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

john2244

Sal,

Not that early. Numbers and a 3 piece spool.  If anyone is interested I just took a 259 to a local tackle shop to sell for me.  $30.

John

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 04, 2014, 11:23:35 PM
For $40, I'd buy it and covert it to a narrow reel (1/0 size reel).  It would make an awesome rock cod reel.
you would probably be better off with the 65, better yet the 66, better main and pinion.

I made that seller an offer but didn't get a respond Undecided. I would have placed it on a shelf though.

Ron Jones

The majority of PacNorWest rock cod can be caught just fine with a 1/0. Sometimes you hit a 100 pound halibut in 150ft of water, but not often enough to plan for it.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

I use a Surfmaster 100 for rockfish shallower than 100', and will use a 501 width Surfmaster 250 for under 200'.  Deeper I use a 113H Tank or 349H.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Yes the 100 is a nice reel, but I don't like to push it too hard.
With the upgrades available today, the Jigmaster is hard to beat.
We now have 5:1 gear ratio, 4:1 and maybe 2.5:1, but will require some customizing. Maybe when Alan Chui gets caught up, he could make us some 3:1 gears. The lower gear ratio, the larger the pinion...giving it more muscle.
You could get what you need just by changing the plate and it would take less than a minute.
I have many Jigmasters.
Ron, I know you don't like those, you could use the 500s handle side plate.

Keta

Our rockfish are in the 2-6 pound range, a very large lingcod might go 20 pounds so the small Surfmasters with Tib frames and SS gearsleves are a good choice.  This winter I put .025 titanium and .020 CF drag washers in one, bench testing was impressive.  I use my Jigmasters for deeper water and albacore trolling, 501's and ones with 99 width Tib frames.  I have one Jigmaster 501 with Alan's double dogged SS bridge a SS gearsleeve and a Tib frame, SS AR dogs  that I want to use this season too, hopefully for Pacific halibut inshore.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Yes I know about the titanium washers, you were supposed to send me some, along with some other stuff around that time. I hope you never send those, because I never got them.
I'm still going to say that the 501 is a better choice, you could fish that reel at 12lb and up to 22lb. when needed.
I just tested a jigmaster with 5-149 main and 13-49 pinion, the handle had a 1/4" play, due to the larger notch on the pinion ( nothing that we couldn't fix), but that didn't seem to bother it. I tighten the star as hard as I could and pulled 25lbs of rolling weight by turning the handle. It took very little effort and pulled it very smoothly, gear ratio was 2.5:1.