Browning Reel Parts

Started by gatrapper, June 29, 2014, 04:41:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatrapper

Girlfriends dad has a browning baitcaster that he loves.  He needs a new side plate for the reel. Where can I purchase Browning Reel parts?

alantani

i see these rarely, not sure who inventories parts anymore.  hopefully someone here will chime in.  otherwise the reel could be a total loss.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

You might get someone who has a few new parts to help you out.

But Browning is one of the reel companies that spent a lot of money on product, unfortunately, they just relabled mostly what was already out there -- then made their own cosmetic changes based on marketing and a good outdoor name.  They were/are a firearms company -- and tried to take their name recognition out into the market.  Found out it wasn't that easy unless they also made a long term committment to product development and customer service -- similar to what Shimano, Daiwa, and Okuma have done very successfully.

On a personal opinion type note -- speaking of the three Japanese companies above -- Many companies -- particularly American ones, have a very short-sighted approach to business.  It is driven by corporate profits above all else.  And quick profits are the goal. 

The Japanese business model includes a good R&D, goals based not totally on profits -- but goals for 24 months -- 5 years -- 20 years -- and 100 years!  This is long-term generational planning with key aspects that must perform or adjust every 24 months, as market conditions and needs evolve.  And they listen to their dealers, service centers, and clients.

Slow, steady, upward growth and planned investments -- while keeping a sharp eye out for opportunities -- will bring success.

Browning just bailed out when the product line results were not up to their short goal expectations.

I still have Browning factory service manuals from the early 80's.

If it were me, I would post a pic of the reel needing the side plate on here -- someone may be able to help out.

And I would keep an eye out on eBay for another one to buy cheap -- and take some parts off of it.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

fsrmn

yes, post a pic or some model info. I just saw a Browning bait caster in a consignment shop Friday. I don't remember what they were asking for it, but it couldn't be much.
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

gatrapper

It's a Browning Medallion GT. It's a few years old and I can't even find beater ones on EBay. He may have an excuse to buy a new Shimano lol.