night time cobia and Snapper

Started by broschro, July 12, 2014, 05:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

floating doc

Quote from: broschro on July 15, 2014, 11:38:08 AM
Doc you are going to have to come to St Augustine and get on my boat when I get my new motor in a few months. the old Honda finally gave needs a valve job or rings she has well over a thousand hr going to get a new motor. I will put you on some fish to test that gear

Thanks, that's a great offer! 

Are you going to go with another Honda?
Central Florida

Newell Nut

The mangos were chomping pretty good over the weekend. Got 4 more fat ones today.

broschro

Dwight I need to come fishing with you soon! My boat will be down for a few months to do some up grades,and I will be hard up to fish.Doc Honda or Suzuki.

floating doc

I'm going back on the Sea Spirit again Sunday if anyone is interested.
Central Florida

erikpowell

Good to see you back too Jamie, was wondering where you got to  8)

You guys have been dong more fishing than I have lately  :'(

My 2 cents on the motor issue would have to be:

Who wears out a Honda at 1000 hrs  ???  I see 2500-3000hr Hondas here..in Fiji!...which is a miracle in itself  ;D and they are running!

My buddy had a new, meticulously driven, AND maintained Suzuki 200.....for 450 hours...
..till saltwater intrusion from a warped head seized the motor... Suzuki Au./ via Japan, acknowledged the fault, but was only willing to replace the faulty head, not the entire motor, OR even the other affected parts! ....Suzuki had their chance
and they got replaced... with a Yamaha...an extra 10 grand well spent....
No Coast Guard here, no one to respond to an Epirb, open ocean, and nobody to answer on 16... Where would you put your money?

Lesson learned: Stick with the tried and true.."It doesn't cost, it pays"..... Yamaha....

With years of experience in Fiji, the nastiest saltiest environment around, with the slimmest dealer network in any brand... Yamaha.
Honda would be second. Even as scarce as they are here, they keep running too.
and Mercs... ..do I need to say it?  ;D
Valves and rings should be cheap compared to a new motor... Think of all the dough you'd save for custom stainless reel parts  ;D

That said,
I do have a keen interest in the Evinrude E-tecs though... Given our exposed offshore environment, two motors is always better than one, and a kicker motor doesn't really count...
I'm dying to try smaller twin E-tecs over a bigger single motor. Yammy or not, I wish somebody would FUND me to try twin 150's out! They have great grunt, a sweet sound, and pee like a racehorse  ;D.

floating doc

I just figured the thousand hours number was a typo. I had a client that own the Seatow franchise for Tampa bay. They had never towed a Honda, only fuel drops.
Central Florida