Penn 113HLW Grinding when switching to freespool

Started by westcoasttuna, July 20, 2014, 12:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

westcoasttuna

I recently changed out the drags on the reel and now that I switch to free spool and back there is some unusual grinding. Im 90% sure I put all of the metal washers and tension spring washer back on right but it does not feel "normal". Anyone experience this problem before?

ChileRelleno

Can you specify where/when are you 'feeling' this grinding?

When switching between freespool & in-gear, like it perhaps its something with the eccentric jack/yoke?
Did you match the proper bridge screws (smooth) with the clutch springs?

Or is it felt with the spool spinning or turning the handle?
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Tightlines667

I just finished servicing a reel that had a bent and badly burred/corroded jack and yoke.  It was stuck in gear, after sitting idle for years.  I was surprised that a pinion frozen to the spool shaft was not the culprit here.  A little filling/beburring and reshaping, then a through clean and regrease and she was shifting like new. 

I would recommend checking to ensure it is shifting smoothly, and also check the drive shaft/bridge assembly to ensure there is no lateral or side-to-side play in the gear sleeve.  Sometimes a loose bridge will lead to rough/grinding when turning the handle (ESP. When the handle is near the down stroke/furthest away).  The other possibility is the jack/yoke assembly is stuck or burred, or the pinion is not properly engaging seating on the spool when in gear.  Excessively worn/damaged main and/or pinion gear will also cause roughness.  A cracked/fractured main gear tooth will 'bump' once per handle revolution, while the same problem in a pinion gear will occur more then once per revolution (proportional to the gear ratio). 

Define your problem and work backwards from there.  Pictures would help too.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Sounds like an assembly issue to me, take it down and try again. Using an o-ring or screw thread protector on top of your spacer sleeve will help keep everything in place during assembly.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

westcoasttuna

Quote from: ChileRelleno on July 20, 2014, 05:50:48 AM
Can you specify where/when are you 'feeling' this grinding?

When switching between freespool & in-gear, like it perhaps its something with the eccentric jack/yoke?
Did you match the proper bridge screws (smooth) with the clutch springs?

Or is it felt with the spool spinning or turning the handle?

It feels like the pinion is hitting something right when i pull the lever back and the eccentric jack is being pushed towards the pinion and gear.
The handle and spool spin good. I just checked the bridge screws and they were in the right places.

westcoasttuna

Quote from: alantani on July 20, 2014, 06:41:42 AM
is it the lever that grinds?
The lever itself does not grind, the grinding or crunching sounds like it is coming from the pinion and the main gear area when i go from free spool and back.

johndtuttle

As above make sure the Pinion slides on the spool shaft perfectly smoothly and that the eccentric jack has complete freedom of travel.

Alto Mare

Quote from: westcoasttuna on July 20, 2014, 03:30:00 PM
The lever itself does not grind, the grinding or crunching sounds like it is coming from the pinion and the main gear area when i go from free spool and back.
You didn't mention you had that problem prior to replacing the drags. Replacing the drags doesn't hurt the gears or anything else. Take that reel apart and put it back together, I'm guessing something went out of place when you assembled it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

handi2

For me it is usually the yoke and pinion gear..
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

westcoasttuna

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 20, 2014, 03:50:48 PM
Quote from: westcoasttuna on July 20, 2014, 03:30:00 PM
You didn't mention you had that problem prior to replacing the drags. Replacing the drags doesn't hurt the gears or anything else. Take that reel apart and put it back together, I'm guessing something went out of place when you assembled it.
I didnt have a problem with the drags, they were just old and I also threw in a stainless dog. Does it matter where the thickest metal drag washer goes the set? I have it on top of the last fiber washer under the tension spring washer.

westcoasttuna

I will see if I have time to take pictures later today of what I have going on here, drag stack, and whatever else I can that shows how I have it assembled.

westcoasttuna

Here are some pictures of my drag stack and inside of the reel. Does that look right?

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

westcoasttuna

Got it working, I think it was those dam bridge screws. Thanks for all the help and input guys, much appreciated. ;D