Abu fibre blocks?

Started by jay2578, July 12, 2014, 03:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay2578

Anyone know what sort of fibre these blocks are? I`m just curious, and apparently anal (according to some on another forum).

Cheers
Abu 6500 CS rocket x2
Abu 7001i
Abu 6500 C3

Ken_D

Seeing's how they are obsolete, and have been for years, (I believe Abu dropped them in 2000-2001) and mainly only used in the 7000 and up, yes. Would be hard to say what they were.

I suspect they will be a phenolic resin impregnated cotton or polyester/nylon fiber, formed into a tube.  If one of our Scandinavian posters picks up on this thread, perhaps they may have a chance to contact Abu, and ask.

jay2578

Thanks Ken.
I`m sure you know the ones I`m referring to, I have them in my 6500 rockets (older version) and I`m sure they were standard issue in mag elites until the changeover.
I have been told its just standard fibreglass by one and TUFNOL by another. I have tried a google search but not found anything.
Yes, I probably am being a bit anal in wanting to know, but the "they just work" or "does it really matter?" type answers have never been good enough for me and I appreciate any responses (apart from the type mentioned!).

Cheers
Abu 6500 CS rocket x2
Abu 7001i
Abu 6500 C3

Ken_D

Rodger that.... they came in 2 sizes for the 7000's, and I ~think~ (it's been too long)  three sizes for the early 4-5-6 reels. I'd need to see if I could find an older drawing showing the part nos for the sizes.

Robert Janssen

Yes, Tufnol... which happens to be one of several trade names for the phenolic impregnated fiber which was mentioned earlier. Later, they just used plastic (nylon??) Beads.

Undoubtedly just me but, I find I cannot get the distance or line control from the modern plastic puck system that I get from the older style.  I won't use anything but.