Ambassadeur 6500c

Started by FishermanTom81, July 29, 2014, 01:48:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishermanTom81

I am embarrassed to ask this question because normally I am pretty good with Ambassadeur reels, however this one has me stumped.  I was re-building an old Ambassadeur 6500c that I bought for $3 as a bag of parts.  Everything went together well EXCEPT that when I try to reel in after a cast the reel does not always engage.  I have to either turn the handle VERY fast for half a turn to get it to engage or take it apart and manually engage the reel.  Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?  If it helps the number on the reel foot is 16-06-0-68.

Thanks,
Tom

Mooki

The two most common reasons I'm aware of are either lack of lubricant under the clutch arm, or the tip is worn/bent (see pic).
Something like 40 BCs, mostly ABU. Still counting upwards...

Ken_D

Quote from: FishermanTom81 on July 29, 2014, 01:48:39 AM
I am embarrassed to ask this question because normally I am pretty good with Ambassadeur reels, however this one has me stumped.  I was re-building an old Ambassadeur 6500c that I bought for $3 as a bag of parts.  Everything went together well EXCEPT that when I try to reel in after a cast the reel does not always engage.  I have to either turn the handle VERY fast for half a turn to get it to engage or take it apart and manually engage the reel.  Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?  If it helps the number on the reel foot is 16-06-0-68.

Thanks,
Tom

I suspect you are holding the reel upside down, as the number will be 89-0-90-91.   A common error, when there are no digits in the number to tell you different.
The drawing link attached will be you, if the baggie's contents were from the same reel.  Mooki's fix will still be the same; the part affected is a slightly different design, but still featuring the same little flip-up to catch the driveshaft.

When re-bending, remember to just bend the little flipper, keeping the remainder flat, and not distorted. This is assuming you have the rest of the parts placed OK, not overly tall, therefore binding in the side plate hump, with nothing anywhere else, bent, rubbing, or off square.  
http://www.nutterrodandreel.com/pdf/Abu%20Garcia/1989-90/6500c%20%2089-0.PDF