How to OPEN Tiagra's cooling shield....

Started by madday, July 03, 2014, 07:53:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madday

Both of my Tiagras' cooling (or cowling?) shields are stuck.... Tried to twist and open it using the original tool (standard tiagra wrench) with no avail.....  >:( >:( >:(
Any idea or trick how to open it...?? ???
Thanks guys....  ;)

Tightlines667

Re: TIP OF THE DAY
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2013, 04:26:58 PM »

Many of the older internationals Tiagra's and others have threaded drag covers which can be stubborn to remove.  Try these tips:
1)Try the correct specialty wrench first (if you've got one), if its not budging give the wrench a persuasive tap w/ a hammer.
2)if still stuck, try heating the drag plate/spool by running it under Hot tap water for awhile and repeat step 1
3) If still stuck you can try to use an appropriately sized car oil filter wrench to develop more torque.  I typically put a thin rag around the spool cover, under the wrench band to protect it, thin rubber (like from an inner tube) would really be best. If you are having trouble holding the spool while torqueing, you can gently clamp it in a wide- mouthed vice clamp with soft wood, and a rag to protect the spool from damage.
4)In a pinch, I have found wrspping a leather belt or strip of leather around the spool can duplicate the concept of the oil wrench.

A little high quality penetrating oil, some heat, and some light tapping around the spool/drag plate connection can help break it free.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

alantani

a shimano wrench and a one foot section of galvanized pipe.  it will tap out.  make sure you are tapping in the right direction.  it's been a while since i've opened up a tiagra, but it should indicate that you have left handed threads.   regardless, it will tell you on the spool cover.  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

madday

thanks guys....
i've been thinking of hot water, but oil filter wrench or one foot of pipe is also good idea...

thanks again....  ;) ;) ;)

MFB

Is this the same for the TLD series? Haven't fitted my carbontex drag to my TLD15 yet as I didn't have the tool & it was more than finger tight. Is the tool for a TLD30A & TLD15 the same or do I require two different size ones?

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

jonathan.han

On some of the TLDs, I've had to add a few drops of TSI301 to the threads to get them to budge. If used, very carefully, a large pair of channel locks used with a rag can help free those. In a worst-case scenario, two holes drilled into the cover plate can help you to use a spanner wrench to twist off those covers. This would have to be a beyond FUBAR case before you do this as now you have holes in the cover(if you care-I don't), but remember that not every lever drag reel manufacturer uses a drag cover to begin with in some models.
raw instinct

MFB

Got the TLD15 sorted, warmed it up with a hair drier & it came apart easily.

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton