Penn Super Mariner 49

Started by simondema, September 02, 2014, 02:44:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

simondema

Hi all
I am currently bidding on a Penn Super Mariner 49. I am intrigued by this reel, as I do a lot of kayak fishing here in Sydney, Australia, and was looking for a tough dependable reel. I have just bought a Penn 501 JR which I will use for either trolling or livebaiting.
Any thoughts on the Mariner? Good buy or sheer folly??
Thanks to all.

Simon

Alto Mare

Nice reel, but probably a little heavy for a kayak. I don't know which one you have, but if you have the metal spool, I would go with this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OLD-STOCK-PENN-Mariner-29L-49-Aluminum-FISHING-REEL-SPOOL-NIB-49L-149L-/371020736771?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56628f2903
A stainless steel sleeve and fresh greased drag washers will also help., unless you happen to find those in there already...you never know.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Everything depends on what you are fishing for, how deep, and your comfort level with your gear.

If it were me in a kayak, fishing the kelp beds offshore here in California for Rock Fish, and since you already have the Jr. -- I might consider a 3/0 or 4/0 Senator with an aluminum spool, solid Tib frame, power handle, and Cal's greased CF drags, with a Delrin under gear washer.  These would both be solid reels with double rings, good line capacity, and perhaps more importantly -- a lower center of gravity above your rod seat -- easier and less tiresome to handle constantly.  Won't be fighting the tilt of the reel as much.

When you really put one of these through some heavy fishing conditions -- a SS gear sleeve is also a good idea.  Otherwise, your power handle may round off the end of the brass sleeve where it attaches to the handle.

Set up properly -- but not going crazy with mods -- these are extremely durable lifetime reels.

With kayak fishing, one never knows when they might hook up with a very large fish.

Good idea to have a stand clamp with a safety eye -- that will accept a lanyard for so you don't lose your gear.

Plenty of other choices out there -- but if you have a chance to get the 49 SM, you won't be disappointed -- just probably not the best kayak reel, IMO.

Good luck & post some pictures of what you decide to get...

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Lensters

That is probably not the reel you need for kayak fishing.  It was made for long line/wire line trolling and most people I know use them for dropping very deep.   If you put a stainless steel gear sleeve in it I think it will do everything a 113 will,  I have used one to pull up 50lb Halibut from 700ft deep.  However, they are bulky reels and unless you need the line capacity, I think that you would be better off with a Senator.
Lensters is also known as Len and will respond when addressed as either.

Disclaimer: My opinions, are mine and mine alone.  They should not be ascribed to Alan, moderators or anyone else on this site.  However, should you wish to, you may adopt them as your own.

akfish

And if you swap the metal spool for an alumnium one you'll need to change the bridge or do some serious grinding.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

simondema

Thanks for all your replies.
I received an email from Alan who also suggested the Mariner might not be the most ideal reel for kayak fishing. However, I really like it as a reel.
I like the narrow spool Penns, hence why I bought the Jigmaster. Once I get it, I will take some photos and post them on here.
Most of the fishing here in Sydney is about 2-3km offshore, chasing 65cm+ kingfish and large snapper. Occasionally you will tangle with something bigger, like sharks and small tuna, hence the need to be a bit over-gunned than under-gunned. The kingfish will take you straight down to the rocks and try to break you off. They are brutal fighters and here in Australia the large ones are called "hoodlums".

Simon

Tom McKinney

so 6 to 10kg kingfish?  Most guys here in SoCal would fish the jigmaster. Search Jigmaster and Kayak on this site and you should find a post by Alan as to why its a great Kayak reel.

jonnou

we get kingfish 40kg plus in New Zealand (I havent yet) :)
they are smaller in aus of course but 20kg plus not uncommon
fix up the Penn and get a small dual drag Leverdrag reel for the Kingis on the yak and learn how to service it cause it might get a dunk right
Just my opinion
Good luck and tight lines
best Jon