leader to braid connection

Started by maxpowers, December 19, 2013, 04:33:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxpowers

I like the longer topshot because it is easier on me.  Most of my reels are standard width so I have plenty of line capacity even with longer topshots.

broadway

This is a great connection for braid to mono or fluoro.  I started using these on the wire line workhorses... no failures yet.
I have had albright knots fail before but only when using it to join the fluoro leader to the wire.
Alberto Knie is one of the best striper fisherman on the East Coast. Type his name in google and check his credentials.
Here's a link so you can see how it's done...
Dom

Alto Mare

One of my favorite also, very strong connection and simple to do. ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Capt Ahab

Quote from: broadway on July 10, 2014, 10:40:54 PM
This is a great connection for braid to mono or fluoro.  I started using these on the wire line workhorses... no failures yet.
I have had albright knots fail before but only when using it to join the fluoro leader to the wire.
Alberto Knie is one of the best striper fisherman on the East Coast. Type his name in google and check his credentials.
Here's a link so you can see how it's done...
Dom

Only knot I use for everything

jonnou

I think the long top shot is for a shock absorber I hope to fish it for Broadbill swordfish which can get very large!! Stand up in a 5.5m boat  :o

Have new reel it lasted two hole days before I stripped it tonight,
just did left plate
still works "whew" :)

jonathan.han

SHock absorption with a short topshot comes from your rod, the rod needs to be matched properly to your terminal tackle. Proper knot tying skills must be practiced and learned. Your knot has to be able to hold your max drag at near empty just in case you forget to back the drag off. I tie a PE/ two turn uni-bob sands or a bimini to a PE/bobsands/or albright if I tie it for someone who insists on archaic thinking. In reality, it doesn't matter which knot as long as it suits you.

I had a time where a friend of mine and I were in a wide open white seabass bite and were drifting alongside another commercial skiff friend. He had a quad going and we had a 5-way. Anyways, we had our fish all tangled up and were passing rods back and forth from each boat rub rail to rub rail. We lost one in his prop since we just backed drags off and put the rods in holders as we gaffed fish. WE go to reset our drift and get a call over the VHF that they had a line hanging from their gaff when they landed their last fish; the fish was still attached. Friend on the other boat tied it off to the handle of some pliers and I tied an albright. We landed that one too. BTW, the friend fishing with me had a 5/0 hook buried in his leg during the flurry-I told him to "man up". Pulled the hook out once we got the lines out for the next drift.

Moral of the story: Tie the best knot you can in the time allowed. As John stated above, nobody fishes with 100% breaking strength drag. Why? Abrasion, water absorption, drag caused by line traveling through the water, etc. etc.
raw instinct

jonnou

this is what im talking about pretty sure it was 37kg holow core

303kg Broadbill landed off Tutukaka this morning.
They hooked him at 4.55pm yesterday and finally landed him at 12.45am this morning - 7hr 50 minute fight. Caught on 37kg with 80m topshot of 60kg mono. It is 1.5kg off being a NZ line class record.
Well done to all the team onboard Espada!