Initial Reel Observation

Started by foakes, March 26, 2016, 05:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

To me, initial observation of a reel prior to breaking it down, servicing and repairing it -- is a vital skill we all should learn.

As an example, many a reel comes across the bench with a drag knob or star fully compressed -- clamps on backwards -- loose screws -- missing parts -- line tied to moving parts -- you get the picture.

All signs that the reel was just fished or acquired by someone with limited knowledge of the proper care and handling of a fishing reel.

Seems like small things on the surface, but...

All indicators of how a reel has been cared for -- or not cared for.  Gives you an idea of what the issues and challenges may be.

In a galaxy far away, and another lifetime -- I appraised and purchased vehicles professionally for over 30 years.  One of the old timers I learned from, always said -- how does the trunk look inside?

If it was neat and orderly, with all in place, emergency items and cleaning supplies organized -- the person also took very good care of the service.  If the glovebox was also neat and orderly, with services noted -- this was also a good sign.

Observation is key to many things -- and your reel experience dovetails perfectly with this acquired skill.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Eason mun

Quote from: foakes on March 26, 2016, 05:04:49 PM
To me, initial observation of a reel prior to breaking it down, servicing and repairing it -- is a vital skill we all should learn.

As an example, many a reel comes across the bench with a drag knob or star fully compressed -- clamps on backwards -- loose screws -- missing parts -- line tied to moving parts -- you get the picture.

All signs that the reel was just fished or acquired by someone with limited knowledge of the proper care and handling of a fishing reel.

Seems like small things on the surface, but...

All indicators of how a reel has been cared for -- or not cared for.  Gives you an idea of what the issues and challenges may be.

In a galaxy far away, and another lifetime -- I appraised and purchased vehicles professionally for over 30 years.  One of the old timers I learned from, always said -- how does the trunk look inside?

If it was neat and orderly, with all in place, emergency items and cleaning supplies organized -- the person also took very good care of the service.  If the glovebox was also neat and orderly, with services noted -- this was also a good sign.

Observation is key to many things -- and your reel experience dovetails perfectly with this acquired skill.

Best,

Fred

Thank you very much for you comments.  ;) I
appreciate them very much

Three se7ens

Ill be sure to clean my trunk and glovebox before I trade my car in :D

foakes

Quote from: Three se7ens on March 29, 2016, 03:08:45 AM
Ill be sure to clean my trunk and glovebox before I trade my car in :D

You don't want to do that, John -- That just lets the dealer know you are ready to buy or trade today.

Best to do your research online -- call 3 or 4 dealers -- make sure you find out who the fleet manager is -- ask for them by name -- they will get you the best price generally -- including all hidden dealer incentives, rebates, invoice dealer costs, etc..  Do not talk to the internet sales people -- only the fleet manager.

If you talk to 3 or 4 fleet managers for the vehicle you have chosen -- you will get the truth.  You won't get wined and dined -- or find someone to spend loads of time with you -- but you shouldn't need that anyway.

After you get the best price -- just ask them to buy your car outright, as a separate transaction -- or take it to CarMax, or sell it yourself.

I worked for the same dealer for 20 years -- then opened a new car brokerage for Credit Unions and Employee groups.  Operated that for many years.  All word of mouth and referral -- high volume, low & fair % mark ups -- straight-forward information and buying service that was very consumer oriented -- not dealer oriented.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Jeri

Hi All,

I grew up in the middle east, and with their flare for trade and battering and bargaining; the ultimate core of any transaction, was that both parties should walk away from the table happy.

Which sounds a little glib in today's world, but none the less a good ethic that we still use in our shop today.

Cheers from sunny Africa,

Jeri

philaroman

if "both parties walk away from the table happy", one party may be delusional...  when both parties walk away from the table UNhappy, FAIRNESS IS GUARANTEED!   :D :D :D

STRIPER LOU

All great info Fred.
One of the things I look for when purchasing a reel, especially online, is the condition of the screws. If they are all buggered up, that may lead to the fact that its been apart many times or the owner couldn't be bothered using the proper screwdriver. Maybe I'm being a little over the top, but, looking at the screws might be a good indicator as to how the reel was cared for and the type of individual who owned it.
Just an opinion though, but something to consider if you going to put out a good chunk of change for a purchase.
Regards,  ..  Lou

foakes

Great point and observation, Lou!

Beat,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Reel 224

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on March 31, 2016, 04:01:37 PM
All great info Fred.
One of the things I look for when purchasing a reel, especially online, is the condition of the screws. If they are all buggered up, that may lead to the fact that its been apart many times or the owner couldn't be bothered using the proper screwdriver. Maybe I'm being a little over the top, but, looking at the screws might be a good indicator as to how the reel was cared for and the type of individual who owned it.
Just an opinion though, but something to consider if you going to put out a good chunk of change for a purchase.
Regards,  ..  Lou

Lou: I can tell you this as a gunsmith, that was the first thing I noticed  and any gunsmith worth his salt would tell you that sets a red flag to what to expect with the interior condition, which was bad 99% of the time.

Joe     
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Marcq

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on March 31, 2016, 04:01:37 PM
All great info Fred.
Regards,  ..  Lou

Very good observation Lou, that's one of the first thing I do, it tells a lot

Marc..

Reel 224

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on April 01, 2016, 12:59:49 AM
Agreed Joe!
And never buy a chrome plated screwdriver! I still have the first Brownell's set I purchased in 1968 while going to Colorado School of Gunsmithing. McMaster Carr sells some Wiha that are decent especially if you take the time to hollow grind them.

How's the rod coming? Got a few repairs I'm finishing up and also the last of my plug orders.  I have a handful left here and wont be making them for retail anymore. There's no money in them and everybody wants plastic now because they last longer. They do not catch better! There's no doubt in my mind that the old woodies are far superior to the plastics when tuned properly.  I have a good supply for myself and turned up a bunch of blanks just in case I should run out.
Time for another glass of red. You and Ruth have a great evening.
Regards,  ..  Lou

Lou: Ill be asking for the woodies even though your stopping manufacturing them even I have to come there a beg. ::) :D I am going to settle down with a glass of red myself. The rod is almost finished. Ill be starting on another soon.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."