SoCal advice needed

Started by CooldadE, July 31, 2014, 02:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndtuttle

Plenty of fish have been caught on straight mono....BUT a great proportion of the guys fishing live bait prefer braid, as a backing of a long topshot if nothing else.

Keta

A bait does swim far better with a super short topshot and Spectra.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Keta on August 01, 2014, 12:47:48 AM
A bait does swim far better with a super short topshot and Spectra.

x2, less weight for the bait to pull...

Shark Hunter

For the type of fishing I do, Braid in not an option. Shark fishing from shore, you have to reel the fish in over the sand bars. One shell will cut 100lb braid like its thread. My only choice is JB hollow backing. I can buy a 5 lb spool of 130lb test mono for $75 shipped to my door. That's 2400 yards. I can pull this off because I have the capacity on the bigger Senators.

Life is Good!

CooldadE

Quote from: alantani on July 31, 2014, 09:30:33 PM
swing by the house on the way down and grab a couple of two speed setups.  don't go spending alot of money just yet. 
Very generous of you Alan ! Thank you all for the advice. I am really looking forward to getting my "Salt" on ! Looks like my old school arsenal will be various sized Jigmasters, 112H Senators and some 113H Senators.  Rite now I have 3 standard 4/0 specials and a HLW width Accurate conversion ( I don't know that I will ever have a use for it ) might want to part it out.
Are 6/0 reels of any use down south or is it over kill ? Again thank all of you for your advice and comments ...
Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

johndtuttle

Quote from: CooldadE on August 01, 2014, 05:45:22 AM
Quote from: alantani on July 31, 2014, 09:30:33 PM
swing by the house on the way down and grab a couple of two speed setups.  don't go spending alot of money just yet. 
Very generous of you Alan ! Thank you all for the advice. I am really looking forward to getting my "Salt" on ! Looks like my old school arsenal will be various sized Jigmasters, 112H Senators and some 113H Senators.  Rite now I have 3 standard 4/0 specials and a HLW width Accurate conversion ( I don't know that I will ever have a use for it ) might want to part it out.
Are 6/0 reels of any use down south or is it over kill ? Again thank all of you for your advice and comments ...
Cool

I heck yea on the 6/0's if you want to bring them. Use for your troller when you are up in the rotation or as a dropper loop rig.

CooldadE

Is there a certain brand and supplier you all like for Spectra???
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Keta

I know and like Jerry Brown so 75% of my Spectra is JB Line One.  I also sell it, contact me and I'll give you the prices for you to compare.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

johndtuttle

Cannot go wrong with Jerry Brown.

Norcal Pescador

All of my 20-80 pound spectra is TufLineXP (solid). My Penn 50V has 135 pound Izor hollow. The TufLine has served me well. I just haven't tried JB. Power Pro has too much coating on it for my tastes.

You'll probably do fine with 40 pound mono on a 4/0, and a 6/0 with 80 pound mono will make a fine troller.

One of the main reasons I use spectra is if you get in a drift with a strong current, 30 pound or larger mono has a lot of drag on it and your offering won't go straight down if that's what you're after. I use 20 pound max diameter mono or 30 pound braid for bottom dwellers up off Trinidad (Calif) or San Diego.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD